Wycombe Abbey

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yummiemummie

Wycombe Abbey

Post by Yummiemummie »

Does anyone have experience of the entry exams for Wyc Abbey at 11plus?
sherry_d

Re: Wycombe Abbey

Post by sherry_d »

They send me sample scholarship papers from previous years in Maths, English, Science and Humanities. I think I paid £6 for them, I only wanted them for practice for my DD but she didnt do them in the end. They were increadibly difficult compared to any other 11+ papers I ever saw and quite different in a way. I thought the questions in maths were really mearnt to test for innate ability and a natural flare for maths and nothing you could really do to drill a child for. The maths questions are more junior olymbiad type questions (about half a page to a page at most) and the humanities was just a picture and you had to write about what you depicted in the pictures with questions like how you think religion would affect the way of life of people in the picture.

They also do a preview weekend or something like that and thats mearnt to weed out some candidates and that happens early on around oct or thereabouts of Year 5.

If your child is at a prep school they do common entrance at 11+ too and cant remember exactly what they said was the pass rate but 65% springs to mind but because my DD wasnt at a prep that info wasnt of interest to me at that time so you may need to check with them. The biggest hurdle would be to pass the pre test.
Impossible is Nothing.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Thank you so much. I agree re the pretest. I think they know what they are looking for in the girls. Thanks for your help.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Anyone else know girls who have been or are at Wyc Abbey? We loved it when we looked around, but def felt it wouldn't be for everyone......
Gottal

Post by Gottal »

My friend's daughter who is a very bright girl took the assessment and interview but didn't make it to the the actual CE exam. It is not about the child's ability but rather if they will fit the WA mould.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Thank you. I got the impression they know what they are looking for. Thanks for your post.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now