Here they come!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sleepless

Here they come!

Post by sleepless »

Well everybody, it's that week coming up isn't it! The one we have all been waiting for, when we get to find out which senior school our little darlings have been allocated to for September.

Some of have our 11+ results already and maybe a rough idea what to expect and some of us (certainly us poor mortals in Essex have been waiting for 14 weeks!!) don't know the result of the 11+ yet.

Personally, what I'm most dreading is not so much finding out which school my child has been allocated to but finding out that it is not the one hoped for and then trying to make light of it by telling her that it has so much to offer that she really shouldn't be upset (or me!), then finding out when the actual 11+ results arrive on our doorstep (next Saturday) that she was so close she might get a place anyway. (by which time she's fallen in love with the idea of going to school choose 3/4).

I haven't been too nervous so far, probably because I figured with 14 weeks between exam and results, there was no point in getting stressed too early (might not live long enough to see the white envelope otherwise) but I am now at that no sleep, dream about it all again time when the only thing that will put me out of my misery is to know.

At this point I would like to wish the very best of luck to you all out there. My child is just one of thousands, hoping for a grammar school place and so, competitive as all this is, we are all in the same boat.

It may cause a tut tut amongst some of you but I would particularly like to wish good luck to those children educated in the state sector.

Anyway, I expect this forum will be very busy for the next couple of weeks and once again, good luck to all.

Post by Guest »

Thanks and good luck to you too from another mother who's now having restless nights!
Onto my second child

Good Luck Everyone

Post by Onto my second child »

It’s fair to say that with just about every school over-subscribed there will be more disappointed parents than those who will have something to celebrate.

However with more applicants than places a system, whether fair or otherwise, has to exist to tell the children’s abilities apart. We have all accepted the rules and engaged in the activity of subjecting our children to their criteria.

At the end of the day the consolation is that you and your child (plus their tutor and form teachers) have tried their utmost to deliver the school that you all felt was most suitable for your child.

If you have not succeeded but have done your best you should have no regrets. As difficult as it may seem to accept, especially if it is a borderline miss, its probably the best thing for your child; after all you do not want him/her in a school where they can be demoralised by others.

Tomorrow, March 1st, is Allocation Day for most of the country. Those that are lucky enough to get the school of their choice should spare a thought for those less fortunate, whose dreams may have been shattered.

Good luck to all the parents!

Post by Guest »

Our borough is posting letters 2nd class which given the post round here prolongs the agony a little longer. We've also got offers in the independent sector and their deadlines loom so we're also anxious that we won't get to hear from the borough before we have to commit to one of them. They don't make life easy do they!
Blame

Post by Blame »

London here.

The kids get the letters in the morning at school. Naturally my daughter will open hers immediately. That means if she fails we won't be able to comfort her all day - but I can hardly ask her to wait.

I have told her and told her that she did her best. If she had worked even a fraction harder she would have burned out before the exam.

Damn. I hope that stops her feeling guilty if she fails but what about me? I stressed her to the limit studying. I believed she could do it - even though because of my foolishness we started far too late.
Nervous Wreck

Can't sleep

Post by Nervous Wreck »

North London here.

The results, as I understand it will be sent to the parents home, could be second class - though I hope not.

My son already has his independent school results, two of them positive, but my preference is a Grammar School.

We too have a deadline, of 4th March, to accept or decline.

Fingers and everything else crossed!
sleepless

London

Post by sleepless »

I think, if your children are really going to get their results in school, it is really not on. Like you say, you will not be there to comfort or congratulate. It is ok for those who get the place they had hoped for but not for those who don't.

Harrow Local Education Authority

Post by Guest »

Harrow computers up the spout! Results delayed by 24/48 hours!
Blame

Post by Blame »

Sleepless.

Oops I got it wrong. Results are in the post ... and haven't arrived today. Another days stress. Grrrrr.
Harrow Guy

Thank you for this support forums - very useful for me and m

Post by Harrow Guy »

OK the results just arrived! Mixed as the first choice shool said no, but second choice school offered.

It was a nervous four hour wait this morning for the post. Now to break the news to my son, have to talk up second choice!

Any tips.

My heart felt thoughts to all you parents who may not have got what you wanted for your child.