BCG Vaccination

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

BCG Vaccination

Post by Looking for help »

Why do children not get offered this any more? We've just had a letter form school telling us that a pupil, sadly has contracted TB. We've been told our child will be offered a blood test to see if he's been infected if the school believes he's come into contact with the patient. I'm happy with the information supplied, but just wonder why on earth they took away the vaccination if it is still a risk. I've checked on the NHS website and treatment for the disease is a fairly long winded process with antibiotics for at least 6 months. It just seems strange to me that our children don't get this vaccination any longer.
Fran17

Re: BCG Vaccination

Post by Fran17 »

I have just spoken to my doctor about this and she simply said it was quite hard to contract so it was deemed to be unnecessary to vaccinate everyone. We have decided to have our children innoculated anyway, but unfortunately we will have to pay.
mim

Post by mim »

Looking, which school is this, if you don't mind my asking?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... &hilit=bcg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we had a thread about this recently and there is quite a bit of info on there. TBH, if you are in a low risk area / population then you don't need the vaccine - it is not fantastically effective particularly against some of the mycobacteria currently around
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Very informative. Not sure what to do now. If BCG prevents 50% of cases I still think it may be worth having.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

depends on your risk.....

If it is one in a thousand then reducing it by 50% takes it to 1 in 2000, if it is one in ten then it reduces it to one in 20.

Currently have to immunise 12,000 children to prevent one case.

BCG last about 15 years.. then probably natural immunity kicks in (if you have been exposed).

I would never get my kids done - just not high enough benefit - poss better to use US / Dutch system, no BCG and early treatment of latent TB (easier to detect in a population who have never had BCG - the heaf test gives the answer)
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Herman, I was going to post the link to the previous discussion and suggets people "speak" to you. You beat me to it. Slow day at the office?!!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

bromley mum wrote:Herman, I was going to post the link to the previous discussion and suggets people "speak" to you. You beat me to it. Slow day at the office?!!!
:lol: :lol: Long day at the office!!!! Just finished and winding down, with a leeetle veeeno..!
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you Herman. Seems it's not necessary to put them through a vaccination if the risk isn't great enough. I should have spoken to you before I spoke to my doctor. :)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thanks for your replies. I just thought that back in the day when we all had the BCG vaccination, TB was just about eradicated in this country, whereas it does seem as if there is a bit of a rise in the number of cases. I'm not unduly concerned about my child contracting it, just curious to know why they stopped the vaccinations.