Dealing with travel sickness

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LuluQueen

Dealing with travel sickness

Post by LuluQueen »

DD suffers from travel sickness :( This is becoming quite a problem as she is starting to attend more competitions and events which are far away and require a good hour's trip or more in the school coach or a car. Was wondering if any of you or your DCs suffer/have suffered from this before, and what you did/do to combat it. All suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Strangely, travelling by train, plane, boat and bus are all fine, but the worst is when she travels by coach.
vasu

Re: Dealing with travel sickness

Post by vasu »

I have suffered with travel sickness all my life esp in the coaches. It is because of claustrophobia that we feel nauseous. I have to take medicine for any long road journey :( . I have tried everything; sickness wrist bands, smelling lemons, spelling out A U S T R I L I A like a mantra( :roll: ).....but nothing helps but medication. I am sorry I am no help. But I am open to hear any tips concerning Travel sickness.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

In a coach she needs to sit in the middle - not over a wheel which will jolt.
We've had so-so results with wristbands & if ginger can be tolerated (very strong on young taste buds) that does help as well. Maybe gingernut biscuits can be taken more easily but are not so potent as the crystalised from health food shops. Also dont have fizzy drinks or anything remotely fatty before travelling.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

It is imperative wherever possible to look at the road ahead. Do not read, watch movie or anything like that. My son now follows this edict and his travel sickness has vaporised. Just our personal experience.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

no_ball wrote:It is imperative wherever possible to look at the road ahead. Do not read, watch movie or anything like that. My son now follows this edict and his travel sickness has vaporised. Just our personal experience.
Agree. We have a motion-sickie DD and put her in the middle of the middle in the Landrover looking out the windscreen and reading all the signs, acting as navigator!

Better still get them to drive, might be a few years yet but well worth it, nobody gets sick driving.

DD’s personal record seven sick stops on the 280 mile journey to Cornwall but it was worth it in the end. :D
Gypsypony

Post by Gypsypony »

The headteacher at my DS's primary school takes a newspaper for any child who feels sick to sit on :shock: Not sure why she thinks it works, but apparently none of the children who tried it were sick :D too busy feeling embarrassed I imagine :lol:

Personally, I'd go with an unobstructed view of the road ahead, open the window a little and listen to some favourite music. This works for my DS who really hates going on coaches, distracting him with games like "name 5 countries beginning with A" etc etc.

The best journey we had was down to Cornwall with our kitten, plenty of distractions on that trip! 4.5 hours and only 1 "kitty litter stop", pretty good for a 10 week old baby:wink:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I still suffer from car / coach sickness especially on country roads. :oops:

Personally I need air directed near the face (some coaches have small devices above the seats) and I take boiled sweets or polos to suck and a bottle of water. I suffered for years with well meaning adults telling me not to eat or drink when I felt sick but personally that makes me worse!
guest201

Post by guest201 »

My DS also suffers from travel sickness, he is usually sick twice on every journey of over half and hour we go on in the car.His school also uses the newspaper trick and dont ask how but it seems to work. We however use the method of having an endless supply of sick bags in the car (we always stock up when we go on a the ferry), as he is sick so often he has a very good aim now and never spills a drop!!!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Interested to read this.

There is some hope I was very very car sick as a child as my father can vouch for - don't ask. Now it has gone, don't know why and can't even remember it passing but it has. DS2 has definately inherited the trait and am thinking about getting him some medication - do I have to go to GP or can I get something over the counter? We've tried music, looking straight ahead, sipping water etc. all to no avail.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

I used to get travel sick as a child. However, I think some of it was pyschological as I could go to a nearby town say 15 miles away and was fine but if I knew we were going on a long journey I would be sick within 3 miles!

Also used to get sea sick too and someone told me to eat shortbread biscuits as they help soak up any liquid in your stomach??????

I also used to like to feel fresh air on my face too.

I used to take tablets called sea-legs which also helped.

It's a horrible thing to go through hope you find a solution for your child.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now