Tuition

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slough mum

Tuition

Post by slough mum »

DC is almost coming to an end at primary school and will be starting year 7 in sept. Can anyone recommend a tutor in Berkshire area for the summer holidays and beyond as a top up for Maths and English?

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Tuition

Post by scary mum »

Can't your DC just have fun for the summer? Plenty of hard work to come at senior school. I'm sure you know what is right for your child and hope you don't think I'm being rude, but it just seems to me that that once they go to senior school they start to grow up and it's just nice to let them be kids for the summer with no pressure. It's none of my business really, so sorry if I'm speaking out of turn.
scary mum
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I would tend to agree with scary mum. They have a big change ahead of them in September, enjoy the summer holidays :D
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Last summer my kids were doing about 4 hours studying a day in order to prepare for the 11+ entrance exams. On top of this they were doing over an hours practice on their musical instruments in order to prepare for the music scholarship auditions.

And we still had time to do family trips to theme parks, the cinema, the theatre and the like. And on days when they just wanted to chill they were left alone to watch TV or to play on the PC or Wii.

So I don't understand where parents are coming from when they say that kids should be left alone to be kids during the summer.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Last summer my kids were doing about 4 hours studying a day in order to prepare for the 11+ entrance exams. On top of this they were doing over an hours practice on their musical instruments in order to prepare for the music scholarship auditions.

And we still had time to do family trips to theme parks, the cinema, the theatre and the like. And on days when they just wanted to chill they were left alone to watch TV or to play on the PC or Wii.

So I don't understand where parents are coming from when they say that kids should be left alone to be kids during the summer.
Goodness me. Well that would never work with mine and I wouldn't want it to be like that, but each to their own. Presumably that's why you chose the name you did. Maybe I should change mine to Unscary mum as has previously been suggested. We will be having a lovely unstructured summer with a couple of weeks away and an occasional 11plus practice paper for DC3.
scary mum
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

I just realise that I haven't answered your question :D

I don't live in your area so I can't recommend a person but I can recommend Kumon. This is of course assuming that you have a Kumon centre in your part of the world.

It is about £60 a month per subject. For that you get daily worksheets which should take about 20 minutes each to complete. Each week you will drop off last week's work at your local centre and pick up the next set of work. It is all pen and paper though. I know that some parents prefer PC based solutions with warm sounding voices encouraging your child.

Its something you may want to consider ... or not :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Pushydad..you are talking about the tutoring your children needed in order to pass the 11 plus...Slough mum is talking about a tutor for her child who is about to start secondary, although we don't know if that is grammar or maybe it's not and her child may need extra help ? Who knows ? If it is a grammar then your child has already done the hard work and should enjoy the time off before the next bout of hard work starts...but perhaps reading some good books and keeping the maths ticking over would be enough ?
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Hi Scary Mum

Pushy? Moi? My wife begs to differ.

She says that I am so laid back she is surprised that I don't fall over backwards. I don't consider myself particularly pushy, either as a dad or as a person. But I am famous (in my own lunchtime) for my sense of irony, hence the choice of handles :)

This summer my kids need to do some prep work, ready for Year 7 (their primary school has only touched on the basic basics for French and don't get me started on how little science they have been taught :) ) but we booked them on a week long course on movie making. Then DS is doing a week long course in PC games programming while his sister is doing a netball course. Then there is the annual trip to Devon to visit my in-laws.

No doubt after reading this there will still be parents who think 'what a pushy parent!' :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The movie making etc sounds fab and I would like to go too! There will be lots of children who haven't done much French or science and I'm sure yours I'll catch pup very soon. I had done no french or science at all before I went to senior school back in the dark ages but I managed to end up with a decent French o level and a career as a scientist!

I hope your kids have a great summer.
scary mum
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Hi Scarlett

I don't know what the slough mum's situation is so I was just making the general point that letting kids have a relaxing summer and being tutored need not be mutually exclusive.