Best type/size of document files/wallets for schoolwork?????

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Novice

Best type/size of document files/wallets for schoolwork?????

Post by Novice »

Me Again :D

Now I have my labels sorted, I have been advised to get a file/wallet for each individual subject in Year 7. It needs to be able to fit all content including books needed for the subject.

There is such a wide choice of files, plastic, A4, A5, Foolscap etc etc and I have no idea which would work best. Has anyone any suggestions/experience???

Many thanks again! :D

Mx
ausvic

Re: Best type/size of document files/wallets for schoolwork?

Post by ausvic »

You are very organised Novice. :D Perhaps I was once like you but as they move through the years I have 'chilled' a bit as they lose it all anyway!!! Good luck. It is very exciting for you and your child.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

About the only ones that will survive being stuffed in a rucksack every day are the very toughest zipper bags - example here: http://www.bakerross.co.uk/product.asp? ... rc=froogle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I am afraid that even then the zips will go from time to time.

I would buy half a dozen to start with and then top up once you can see the size of the problem, subject by subject. The ones on the Baker Ross site are size "A4 Plus" (whatever that means), but a stationer's shop with a proper catalogue service should be able to get foolscap folders that will accommodate bigger text books.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Absolutely agree with Sally-Anne. When DD went to senior school they weren't allowed to carry their bags around so wallets were important otherwise she dropped/lost everything. We tried all sorts as I thought the tough zipper ones were too expensive, but in the long run they were the best. I think we used the A4 plus as A4 is too small (don't think it was A3, although I'm beginning to doubt myself). Check whatever you get has room for a file or excercise book and a text book. DD now wont use them, of course, and DS (year 7) seems to think they are beneath him too, so I have a large stack of them at home that I'm sure will come in handy for something :lol:
scary mum
tokyonambu

Post by tokyonambu »

scary mum wrote:don't think it was A3, although I'm beginning to doubt myself
A3 would be very large: it's twice the size of A4.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I tend to use a lot of plastic wallets for games and photocopied sheets.

I;ve found that some are exactly A4, which means that they are teh same size as the paper and it is difficult to get anything in them! I buy most of my stationery from Tesco or Asda, both very reasonable
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just looked at the manufacturer's own website and A4 Plus is actually Foolscap.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Sally -Anne,

I have just bought 12 of those wallets, thank you so much for recommending them. My son was given cardboard folders for some of his subjects at the beginning of the year and all that is left are a few bits of cardboard wrapped around piles of messy A4. I am hoping that the wallets will turn him from a disorganised child carrying a flurry of scraps into the perfect school boy.

Also, I have just taken over some secretarial duties for my husband so another batch will be part of my first official stationary purchase. All I need now is a pencil skirt, some horn-rimed glasses and I will be ready to go.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

marigold wrote:I have just bought 12 of those wallets, thank you so much for recommending them.
No problem - a combined total of over a decade's experience! :roll:
I am hoping that the wallets will turn him from a disorganised child carrying a flurry of scraps into the perfect school boy.
I hate to break it to you, Marigold, but ... It should improve matters a little bit though!
andyb

Post by andyb »

In addition to (some) subject folders, DS has one labelled "to hand in" for completed homework, as it often has to be handed in before the next lesson, and one labelled "stuff" which is for handouts/worksheets etc that don't really need to be stuck into an exercise book but may be useful at a later date.