Churchdown School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Honeybee29

Churchdown School

Post by Honeybee29 »

Hello there!

We appealed for Ribston but unfortunately didn't get offered a place. We've been allocated a place at Churchdown and am hoping there are people out there that can let me know the good points about the school :D

The last Ofsted report re Geography wasn't too great and I'm worried that my daughter may not be given the opportunity to excel. I know the Churchdown are good at bringing on those of lower attainment to average attainment but are they good at ensuring that those who are average/above average attainment maintain that level or hopefully improve it?

I'd appreciate your comments. I'm worried that Churchdown may not be the best school but there doesn't appear to be any other options open to us.

rollercoaster

Re: Churchdown School

Post by rollercoaster »

Hi Honeybee29, I'm really sorry to hear your appeal was unsuccessful. I'm not an expert on Churchdown but I do know a very bright girl that is going there having chosen the school over grammar school - and sometimes a few bright children working together can encourage each others learning. Having said that, if you are concerned, it might be worth trying to find out where the spaces are that are being left by those who have been successful at the Ribston appeals. There will presumably be a lot of movement in the next few days. All the best for you and your DD. :)
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

I'm really sorry to hear your news honeybee. We also had an unsuccessful appeal and it's horrible.
I don't know anything about Churchdown but I do know that rollercoaster is right and bright kids working together will only bring out the best in each other. There are a lot of bright children who, for many reasons, don't even take the test. I do hope everything works out for you x
Honeybee29

Post by Honeybee29 »

Thanks for your replies and it is horrible :(

Good to know that you know a bright girl who had chosen Churchdown over a grammar Rollercoaster and Ofsoundmind, I hadn't even given it a thought that there are lots of children out there who choose not to sit test even though they'd have no trouble passing the 11+.

Not sure if you can appeal again. Although do I want to put her through it again? Looking in to spaces created by those who have had successful appeals is a good idea. Thanks again.
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

If you did want to try again, you wouldn't have to tell her.
Honeybee29

Post by Honeybee29 »

Will you try again?
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

We were successful with our second appeal so no, we won't appeal again for the first unless she has problems there.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

In my patch, I know of quite a few children who take the test just out of curiosity, pass, then choose a comp instead. There are some pretty good comps out there. I even know of children (relatives!) who delibrately fail the 11+ so they can go to the local 'special measures' comp with their friends, and do very well. I have no personal knowledge of the Gloucester comps, other than what I hear in the playground.

As a caveat, I should add that panels don't consider what school has been offered (they may ask as a filler question), as the appeal is not against that school, but for the appeal school.
Capers
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi Honeybee29

I have sent you a PM
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
shaann

Post by shaann »

Hi ,have you thought about Newent if you didn't fancy Churchdown? Churchdown was popular from our primary but in recent years more have opted for Newent.There are buses from all over glos city and I know of at least one place made available by a successful appeal.

Have a look at the website and bus timetable there may be a stop near you.

Churchdown is however outstanding for art and creativity so if your child likes that its quite a good place.

Hope that helps a bit :)