ICHS 11+ Exam Questions for Sept 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Colourful-Rainbow

ICHS 11+ Exam Questions for Sept 2012

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

Hi,

This is the first time I am using this forum so I hope I am posting in the right place. :) I have quite a lot of questions about Ilford County High School's 11+ exam process and some others. I live in the common catchment - area however it is quite a few miles away from the school. Sorry for the lengthy post! :(

*What type of 11+ exams do they use? Is it just verbal and non - verbal reasoning?
*What is the length of each of these exams?
*What marks are they out of?
*What is the format of these exams?
*Where do they sit these exams?
*Are they both going to be sat in one day as well as practice exams before hand?
*Who produces the papers for the 11+? I read it is GL assessment or NFER?
*Which books/online resources are the best to use specific to these exams? There are so many resources around and I'm not quite sure which ones to choose!
*I had a look around some threads and I am not quite sure I understand the cut - off system. I understand how the scores are used as a cut - off taking age into account but what about the distance from school? If this cut - off system exists for distance and it is e.g. 2 miles then does that mean children living 3 miles away are not given an offer despite obtaining a decent score?
*Are there any other factors taken into account?
*Is it possible to find out about these cut - off scores from previous years and perhaps other detailed information to get an idea of what kind of scores need to be achieved?
*How early are parents preparing their children for these exams and/or are you using a tutor?
*Is there any other general advice you can give such as what foundation knowledge is required?

Thanks for the help in advance and I hope this thread will also be of use to others who have questions about this year's 11+. :D
Last edited by Colourful-Rainbow on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Re: ICHS 11+ Exam Questions for Sept 2012

Post by yoyo123 »

welcome to the forum.

This answers some of your questions

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ge-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

There is also lots of information in last years admissions booklet. The 2012 booklet is not yet available.
http://www.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/educati ... chool.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Briefly from last year (this could change)

Usually the tests are taken in a classroom setting in a Redbridge school. They consist of multiple Choice verbal and non verbal published by GL Assessment and are age standardised. Verbal Reasoning test of 90 questions to be answered in 50 minutes. Non-Verbal Reasoning test is four timed sections, with a total of 75 questions to be answered in 39 minutes.

Within the catchment area - Places are allocated according to the child’s performance in the 11+/selection tests. The top 120 scores will be offered a place at the school, distance is only used when children share the same score.

Keep checking the website until they publish 2012 admissions booklet for the latest information.
Colourful-Rainbow

yoyo123 wrote:welcome to the forum.

This answers some of your questions

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ge-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, that helped a lot. :D I am assuming the exam format will remain the same then?
Colourful-Rainbow

mitasol wrote:There is also lots of information in last years admissions booklet. The 2012 booklet is not yet available.
http://www.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/educati ... chool.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Briefly from last year (this could change)

Usually the tests are taken in a classroom setting in a Redbridge school. They consist of multiple Choice verbal and non verbal published by GL Assessment and are age standardised. Verbal Reasoning test of 90 questions to be answered in 50 minutes. Non-Verbal Reasoning test is four timed sections, with a total of 75 questions to be answered in 39 minutes.

Within the catchment area - Places are allocated according to the child’s performance in the 11+/selection tests. The top 120 scores will be offered a place at the school, distance is only used when children share the same score.

Keep checking the website until they publish 2012 admissions booklet for the latest information.
Thank you for clearing that up for me, I appreciate that. :D The 2012 booklet is finally out. :lol:

The GL assessment site shows a lot of books for verbal and non - verbal reasoning. Do they follow the same format as the Redbridge ones? What are the variety packs? :? Is it even realistic to go through so many books in a couple of months and what other books are also good practice? Sorry for so many questions, this is the first time I'm going through this process.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Sorry I didn't see the 2012 booklet, only 2011.

If they keep the same format then GL practice papers will be most suitable. Get the verbal and non-verbal packs and ignore the variety packs.

You should check that Redbridge don't intent to change the format before you order.
Colourful-Rainbow

mitasol wrote:Sorry I didn't see the 2012 booklet, only 2011.

If they keep the same format then GL practice papers will be most suitable. Get the verbal and non-verbal packs and ignore the variety packs.

You should check that Redbridge don't intent to change the format before you order.
Oh no, I thought that was the 2012 one since it said 2011/2012 underneath it, my bad. :) Thanks, how about the NFER ones? I keep reading that they are the hardest ones. :)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

As far as the practice papers are concerned - Nfer/GL Assessment are the same. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... -and-letts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colourful-Rainbow

mitasol wrote:As far as the practice papers are concerned - Nfer/GL Assessment are the same. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... -and-letts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh right :lol: thanks. I believe I should only get the GL Assessment mc ones and not the standard ones? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the verbal and non - verbal tests. From other threads however I read there are 21 verbal questions types and 4 for non - verbal which are separately typed apparently. Is this correct for Redbridge?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

It's better to get the same format, so multiple choice. In addition to the GL papers the VR papers listed on this thread are also suitable, as they contain the 21 types. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully someone who has taken the test will be along to give you some information on the NVR.