English 11+ Comprehension MC Paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
esh

English 11+ Comprehension MC Paper

Post by esh »

Comprehension being his weakest area, no matter how hard he tries, my DS scores 75%-78% on a typical 11+ MC comprehension (Bond, Letts, GL Assessment), has anyone's DS been in a similar situation but has managed to get in to one of the Sutton Schools? Concerned that this may not be good enough and he may need more input!
menagerie

Re: English 11+ Comprehension MC Paper

Post by menagerie »

Is there a pattern to what he falls down on?
esh

Post by esh »

If the answer is not in the passage, he finds it hard, i.e. he can't read between the lines.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Is it that he lacks confidence in his own ideas? Can you encourage him to make educated guesses? To think up three or four possibilities and then decide which is most likely to be accurate given the information in front of him. I think I'd do that, spending all the time in the world on his ideas and suggestions, with no timed questions, until he grows in confidence at this, then return to the timed papers. You could also vary the papers for his age - go up a level and down a level. Sometimes there's a level they just don't get but the one above is clearer, or there's something in the one below that helps them register what's needed.
esh

Post by esh »

You are right - it is lack of confidence. Do you know of anyone who got similar score but got in to a grammar school? Thanks very much for all the advice which I will take on board and work with him.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now