French Films Split from Trinity boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

French Films Split from Trinity boys

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi WFG,

If your DS1 is also a lot into music and singing, you could make him see these French films so that he doesn't loose to much the level he has reach after his stay in France wink:
- the chorus
- the music teacher
Both are sold in the UK in French with English subtitles.

By the way, did he come back home happy of his experience with his adress notebook full of new friends or just happy to see the end of an ordeal?

Thread split from Trinity
-WFG response

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:Hi WFG,

If your DS1 is also a lot into music and singing, you could make him see these French films so that he doesn't loose to much the level he has reach after his stay in France wink:
- the chorus
- the music teacher

By the way, did he come back home happy of his experience with his adress notebook full of new friends or just happy to see the end of an ordeal?
Not only can DS1 not sing but her utterly detests it! :lol: His time in France went well. He didn't enjoy it but he came home much more independent and ready to try new things. He now has the confidence to audition for school plays as he wasn't pigeon-holed as being a certain character or only having certain strengths when in France. He is also very happy at the confidence it has given him in French lessons and he is now the strongest linguist in his Form. This summer he is going back to France for a three week molecular gastronomy course for 6-12 year olds which is all in French. Out of 24 students, only 3 are allowed to be foreign and the foreign children are not necessarily English so this is even more immersive than his term as all of his friends spoke English when they had free time. I'm hoping to do this again at Easter and Summers from now on, if it goes well.
la boume

Trinity boys SPLIT

Post by la boume »

[quote="JaneEyre"]Hi WFG,

- the chorus
- the music teacher

Never heard about The music teacher. May be you meant The piano teacher? If so the cert is 18 for this film. If not where I can find the The music teacher?
JaneEyre

Re: Trinity boys

Post by JaneEyre »

la boume wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:
Never heard about The music teacher. May be you meant The piano teacher? If so the cert is 18 for this film. If not where I can find the The music teacher?
Oh no, dear God!! I wouldn't recommand a film cert 18 for a 11 years old child!!! :shock: You can find 'the music teacher ' here on amazon: :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... er&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Hope I don't break some forum rules :oops: )

It is even cheaper here than in France where DVDs are too deary to my taste... :D
But I warn you and your child: it's about opera singing, so it is not eveyone's cup of tea.. and it's PG (no s.e.x scene).
It is really a beautifull film ! 8)

If you like opera singing, I just got to know recently a indredible counter-tenor: a French called Jaroussky. You can hear and see clips on you tube. He has such an amazing voice!!!! :shock: :D :D
doingmybest

Re: French Films Split from Trinity boys

Post by doingmybest »

I have wondered onto this thread because of the french title.

I am very interested in finding french courses for my children preferably in France, the aim is for them to be able to speak the language not pass school exams, so I'm more interested in them chatting than writing out grammar exercises.

Would you mind sharing your research WFG? as you seem to have looked into it already.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

This is the group DS is going with but I would say that they are very strict and expect French to be already being learned at school for at least two years although I don't think they expect a child to be able to speak French.

http://www.summercampsinfrance.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I opted against the watersports and biking/hiking holidays because I feel there would be very little conversation going on other than instructions. With cookery and den building they have to communicate with one another and work as a team to solve problems.
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

Thank you for the link, I really apreciate it.
DS is in Y6 and has studied french at school for years, he has just finished Equipe 3 which is usually year 8/9, so I think his french should be ok. I can read and write french pretty well but I probably have the worst french accent in the world which I am very conscious of, so I never speak french except to ask someone if they speak English! I would just like him to have the confidence to speak the language because he's not going to inherit it from me.

Thanks again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now