Does everyone have a blackberry ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

frosties

Does everyone have a blackberry ?

Post by frosties »

It's my daughter's 15th birthday next week and she's been asking for a blackberry for weeks and I've been saying 'no' for weeks. She says everyone has got one, and although I've heard it all before, it does seem a lot of her year do have one.
The reason I don't want her to have one is that my 18 year old son has an iphone and spends all his time on it and it's such an unsociable thing.
We have a computer and a TV downstairs but my son spends all his time on his iphone in his room, which I find sad. I am sure my daughter would do the same. She spends as much time on the computer as she can get away with. At the moment she has a cheap just text and phone mobile.
I can't cave in at this stage, but does everyone have a blackberry ?
Tree

Re: Does everyone have a blackberry ?

Post by Tree »

not everyone no but smartphones are pretty common. My 15yr daughter has an iphone and annoyingly uses it in her room alot however i have recently noticed that on the BT router software you can limit the wifi to particular appliances to certain times so her iphone wifi switches off at 10:00 pm so far i have claimed innocence and blamed the hardware and seems to be working for the moment so this maybe worth a try with your son
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD age 15 has a cheap ish smartphone (cheap compared to an iPhone anyway). She only has wifi, not a data package although it would probably be the same price, but at least she can't be on Facebook etc on the bus, or anywhere else. We can also switch the wifi off whereas we couldn't switch 3G off.

A lot of her friends have blackberrys and like them for blackberry messenger.
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

If I don't own a blackberry..then neither will my children !
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DS doesn't but he says a lot of his friends do. He says he won't hassle me about it because there's no point. DD, I suspect, will be a pain in the proverbial. I'd avoid it for as long as possible.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Most of my 16 year old's friends either have a Blackberry or an iPhone. She had a very cheap text only phone which was so old that was held together with a rubber band!! She had promised not to hassle me for a new phone if I in turn promised that I would get her a Blackberry when the old one died a natural death. Then someone dropped her phone (this I know to be what happened and not a made up story!) and smashed it. At this point DH and I thought that instead of buying her another cheap phone we'd get her a BB if she showed us that she'd buckle down for GCSE revision. She did so we did. I must say she has been very good and does not spend too long on her phone.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

I have to admit my DS, Y7, (and me) have recently got Blackberrys. I helped on a school trip and indeed a good proportion of his classmates have them. The BBM is great as its free. However into the pot goes the fact everytime we renew a contract we get a chucnk off it because of a deal my DH gets with O2 through work so it benfits us to renew as soon as our contract is up.

But, agreed, he does fiddle with it a lot except at bedtime and mealtimes - thats the rules in the house. Now i've got used to it i like it a lot :D Love would be too strong a word at the mo :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS has an iPhone (he is 14). He used to spend a lot of time on it (mainly Facebook). Recently he got an iPad with his savings and now spends a lot of time on that! :roll:
Lots of his friends have Blackberrys (or should that be Blackberries?!) I also see lots of teenagers on the bus with them so I think it is very common.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My daughters both have blackberry phones. One of them is prone to breaking all the time, and is more often in the shop being repaired than not. It may have something to do with the child in question, as the other has been fine so far (they have had them a year). The youngest was 16 when she got it. They are great for keeping in touch, and at their age I felt they were old enough to deal with them. All of their friends have them or the iphone, but I have not allowed iphones as they are far too expensive still, in my view.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

DD has an iPhone, she seems to be surgically attached to it (apart from the house rule of not during meal times or overnight in the bedroom). It's also a useful tool to withdraw when we are 'discussing' things :lol:

My OH has two blackberries (one for work, one for home). He started off on a Nokia but when his contract was up for renewal, after using the Blackberry for work, he decided to get one for home too. They seem to be pretty nifty little things.

Me, I still don't own a mobile :lol: :lol: