Newbie here with questions re. SAT results.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

school cynic

Newbie here with questions re. SAT results.

Post by school cynic »

I have been toying around with the idea of seeing if my twins have the potential to sit 11 plus exams. However their teachers have never said anything particularly encouraging at parents evenings.

Last week their SATs results were published as follows:

DS
English - reading - 4C
English - writing - 3A
Mathematics - 4C
Science - 3A

DD
English - reading - 4C
English - writing - 4C
Mathematics - 4C
Science - 3C

I've been trying to understand these grades and if my kids have potential. I do get the 'opportunity' to speak to the teachers on Thursday about the results but was wondering if anyone knows if this is a decent enough standard as a start? I don't want to put the children through the pressure otherwise.

Thanks

BTW They're 8 years old, in Year 3
999 mum

Re: Newbie here with questions re. SAT results.

Post by 999 mum »

Go for it - I think they are very good results for year 3. There is no harm is trying, maybe initially just do general english and maths as you have plenty of time.

I don't think all teachers encourage you to apply to the Grammars. (And take what they say with a pinch of salt - sometime they let their own views of the schools taint what they say.)

(For encouragement maybe: My DS's results were not as good as that in year 3 and he managed to get into Sutton Grammar.)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well they look like fantastic results to me for the end of year 3. Average progress would be 1.5 sublevels per annum so you can now predict their year 6 grades and they would be sky high. Are you in a superselective area?

I will drop dead if my children get those results at the end of year 3.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Better not Mystery, you will still have the 11 plus to go !

I think they look brilliant. My DS1 was 3a in maths/reading at end of year 4 and is now level 5 for reading, level 6 for maths . My DS2 is level 3a/ 4c now also end of year 4 .I think with 11 plus prep they really zoom through the levels with that extra one to one work anyway ...but they look as if they are on the right path.Schools do seem to be pretty non commital and said there was no way my son would pass, which he did and really well.I'm not even going to ask with DS2 because I'm going to put him in for it anyway . :D
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think they are good levels for a year 3 child,and there is no harm in trying as you haven't got anything to lose!
;D
Manana

Post by Manana »

They would be great levels for a Year 4 child, let alone Year 3. Children are expected to get a 3b at the end of Y4, so they are both working at a level above that expected for their age.
school cynic

Post by school cynic »

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful.
999 mum wrote:I don't think all teachers encourage you to apply to the Grammars. (And take what they say with a pinch of salt - sometime they let their own views of the schools taint what they say.)
I haven't asked the teachers if my children have grammar school potential but at Parents Evenings I've been given the impression that they're doing 'fine'. If anything I was told DS was struggling with Literacy even got a tutor in although that was only a couple of weeks ago so that wouldn't have encouraged his grades.
Are you in a superselective area?
Apologies, I don't even know what the term means :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry about the jargon. I meant do you have to get a very high score to get into a grammar school from where you live? In Kent, a child just has to be in the top 25% of the population to get in, unless they apply to a "superselective" which admits the top scorers rather than people who passed the Kent 11+ and live close enough to the school to get a place.
school cynic

Post by school cynic »

Oh, in that case we're in a super selective area.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well this is probably why the school doesn't ever bother talking about the 11+. I guess you need to question the schools themselves about the standardised scores required to get in to their school in an average year and where this would place your child in the population - top 5%, 10% etc. This will give you more of a feel whether you are in with a chance or not. But I would have thought that your child's scores are jolly good and with preparation it would be worth a bash at a few entrance exams - they're free of charge after all. You need to ask a bit about the specific schools in the relevant area forums too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now