Bond papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Bond papers

Post by fatbananas »

Hello,

My attention has recently been drawn to these but I wondered:

Are they suitable for the 'Surrey' grammars (Tiffin, Wallington, Sutton, Wilsons)?

My DS is going into year 3 in September and I notice that they do verbal/ non verbal books for his age group. Is there an advantage to starting this stuff now? Generally, in most subjects, I would've thought it was always better to start early but I'm sure I've read somewhere (gawd knows where though!) that one can peak at a certain stage and improve no further and so that is a reason for only beginning them in year 5 when beginning prep for the 11+. Or, at age 7-8 perhaps I really shouldn't worry about him peaking too early!!

Also, if they are recommended, should we start with the books entitled "first papers in ..." or is it ok to go for the "10 minute" tests ones?

And are the Bond maths and English books useful?

Any advice would be really helpful!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
svg123

Re: Bond papers

Post by svg123 »

Hi,

I am not sure about their suitability to Surrey Grammar schools but they certainly are good for starting. Buy the age specific ones and go over them with yr child.

- svg123
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I disagree-start in year 5 and forget it till then :D
I don't think the Bond papers are appropriate to Tiffin (although I am no Tiffin expert) but very useful for the others as some of the Sutton exams set their own papers and could have anything. You will need to look at more than Bond too when the time comes. There are loads of threads in the Surrey section on various VR papers
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks for your replies. :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Pretty much the only papers we do round here are the Bond papers. Generally people start in the January before they sit the test, but I also know of a significant number who have done just a few of those papers at home, the Sutton grammar mock and then the test, and have been successful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now