Choices on CAF-Confused

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
worriedandconfused

Choices on CAF-Confused

Post by worriedandconfused »

This is my first time in this very informative and wonderful forum. I have some confusion regarding the order of preferences in the CAF form in Bucks. How does this waiting list work? I am presenting some hypothetical situations, presuming my DC has qualified the minimum requirement of marks (That would be wonderful!!)
1 If my first preference in the form is a school ( School A) which is far from my catchment and the school which is very near to my house (School B) is my last preference, How the school would be allocated in such case?
My understanding is, the places would be allocated on the basis of distance from school once the minimum requirement for passing marks is met. Since school A would be far from our house we would be put in the waiting list for school A. Would the school B is allocated to us in such situation?
2. What would happen if we have not filled School B (which is in our catchment) and my DC could not get the school A. Can we add that later or can we request School B to put my DC in waiting list as my DC has qualified the min mark criteria provided they have spaces?
3. Lastly what is the provision of transfer within the Bucks county Grammar school? Can somebody who is attending Grammar School A can move to Grammar School B during year 7 or 8? Is there any movement in schools after year 7 admissions? What if we are move to a different area near school C?
Thanks for your help.
scary mum

Re: Choices on CAF-Confused

Post by scary mum »

I don't know the answer to all of your questions, but the one thing I do know is that they allocate from the top down on your CAF form. Assuming your DC passes the 11 plus, they try to allocate your number 1 choice (wherever it is), if they can't allocate a place there, they move down to the next one and so on, so you don't automatically get the closest school. Your first preference may be miles away, but if they can give you a place there, they will. Grammar schools MUST go at the top of the form, otherwise your DC could be in the position of passing the 11 plus but being allocated an Upper school if you put it higher and there are places. If they don't pass the grammar schools are simply electronically crossed off the list.
scary mum
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

All good advice from Scary Mum above plus I would emphasise make sure you put down selective and non-selective school(s) in case your DC doesn't pass. As Scary Mum says the grammar schools have to be first but they will be automatically discounted if your DC does not pass the 11+ and then you will be left with some options. Would also advise putting down your local grammar in the list somewhere in case any other non catchment grammars you may prefer does not have places. This year a friend of mine was offered a grammar about an hour away because their 3 first choice grammars didn't have places and the catchment one wasn't on the list (and didn't have spare places at that time). Fortunately this was then resolved in the second allocation round but it was a nail biting experience for them.

Edited to try and clarify the example!
Last edited by Jules7 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mk123

Post by mk123 »

I think you have been given some very useful hints above. I have found the secondary schools admission information from the 'Schools' tab well worth reading. It gives you advice on the CAF:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The “Equal Preference System”, used in Bucks, is explained very well too.
Last edited by mk123 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
worriedandconfused

Thank you for the information.
@Jules7, does it mean that if one has not included the local Grammar school in its CAF form, the school will not be allocated even if it has places.

What happens in case we got a place in a Grammar school and we move within the county at a later stage? Is it possible to have the transfer between the Grammar schools if the places are available?

Thanks in advance.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My understanding (although no personal experience, you would have to check with the schools) is that you can transfer between grammar schools without taking another test, but of course there would have to be places available, which you can't guarantee.
scary mum
drummer

Post by drummer »

If none of the schools on your CAF has places for your child then he/she will be allocated a place at the nearest appropriate school that has places. If you didn't put your local Grammar down but you fail to get a place at any of your preferred schools then you will be allocated a place at your local school if there is one available after all of the preferences have been allocated.

If you don't get a place at your 1st preference (or 2nd, 3rd etc) you can accept the place you have been offered AND go on a waiting list. Your place on the waiting list is determined by the usual catchment criteria. However, if I remember correctly, if you are on a wait list and a place comes up then it will be automatically allocated to you without checking if you have changed your mind (ie you must be sure you want to change).
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

If the local grammar has spare places then yes it will be allocated. However this is only after all allocations have been made to people who do have it on their CAF so it's a risk. Basically the nearest Grammar will be allocated that has spare places - this does not necessarily it is your local one!

Hope this helps.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi worriedandconfused

I have been busy with other things, and thankfully others have replied with most of the information you need, but to clarify everything once more ...
worriedandconfused wrote:1 If my first preference in the form is a school ( School A) which is far from my catchment and the school which is very near to my house (School B) is my last preference, How the school would be allocated in such case?
You will be allocated the highest possible preference depending on where there are places available.
Since school A would be far from our house we would be put in the waiting list for school A. Would the school B is allocated to us in such situation?
After March 1st you can elect to go on to the waiting list for School A if you have not received a place, and you can also appeal for a place. School B would be allocated if it was the next highest preference on your form and it had places available. You can also ask to be placed on the waiting list for any other Grammar School that was not on your original CAF.
2. What would happen if we have not filled School B (which is in our catchment) and my DC could not get the school A. Can we add that later or can we request School B to put my DC in waiting list as my DC has qualified the min mark criteria provided they have spaces?
I am really not clear as to what you are asking here, but I hope that my previous answer covers it. Every child who qualifies in the Bucks 11+ should receive the offer of a GS place, but it is a question of which one.
3. Lastly what is the provision of transfer within the Bucks county Grammar school? Can somebody who is attending Grammar School A can move to Grammar School B during year 7 or 8?
The Bucks CC website states this:
GRAMMAR TO GRAMMAR TRANSFER
In rare cases, parents request that their child move from one grammar school to another, within Buckinghamshire. This could be due to a house move or because a child is unhappy at their current school. If you need to move your child, you will need to complete an In-Year application form and provide reasons why we should accept your application. We would normally expect this request to be supported by independent evidence and your child’s current headteacher.There is no automatic right to transfer between grammar schools, and your child may be asked to take the entrance test again.

Beware the last point. With many Bucks GS converting to Academies, the goal posts on post-11+ admissions may move over the next year or two.
Is there any movement in schools after year 7 admissions? What if we are move to a different area near school C?
There is always a little movement after Year 7, but you cannot count on it to deliver a place. You need to consider very carefully what the consequences of moving might be.

Please use the links to the main website at the top of this page - especially the Schools link. Take a look at all the information on the CAF and also the Bucks section, including the Allocation Profiles for Bucks grammars for recent years.

Please also read everything that you can find on the Bucks CC website http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... ndary.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? The new Guide for Parents has yet to be published, but there are no substantive changes to admission arrangements for the coming year.

If you would like more specific advice, why not just post the names of the schools involved? There are 7,000+ children taking the Bucks 11+ this year and you will not be identifiable from general information on here. It would allow us to help you far more easily.

Sally-Anne
worriedandconfused

Thank you for all the replies and clarification.
If you would like more specific advice, why not just post the names of the schools involved? There are 7,000+ children taking the Bucks 11+ this year and you will not be identifiable from general information on here. It would allow us to help you far more easily.
There is nothing regarding the identity. This forum is so wonderful and we already have our weird user names :) Worriedandconfused!
You can also ask to be placed on the waiting list for any other Grammar School that was not on your original CAF. Every child who qualifies in the Bucks 11+ should receive the offer of a GS place, but it is a question of which one.

That means if my DC cannot get place in any of my preferred school from my CAF after qualifying the 11+ exam, I would be given a place in any of the Bucks Grammar School . But how would they allocate GS in that case? Do I need to give my preferences again? What about the transport to school then?
We are at the border of Burnham and Slough. Unfortunately we are in Slough postcode. Would be still allocated ANY Grammar school once my DC qualify the Bucks exam? :o . We want to put Sir William Borlase as my first choice over the Burnham Grammar School which is near to our house.
Sally-Anne wrote: You will be allocated the highest possible preference depending on where there are places available.
OK. that means place will be allocated as per distance from school subject to availability. If you have allocated School B (Burnham Grammar School) you would be automatically (?) put on the waiting list of School A (William Borlase) as it was your first choice on CAF.
After March 1st you can elect to go on to the waiting list for School A if you have not received a place, and you can also appeal for a place. School B would be allocated if it was the next highest preference on your form and it had places available.
Wouldn't it be automatic, that I would be put on the waiting list of school A which was my first choice in the CAF form, though I have been allocated my next preferred school. Do I have to appeal for the place (if yes what would be the reason??)

Thanks again for all help!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now