Allotments

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Allotments

Post by doodles »

Does anybody have one? There are vacancies locally to us and I was wondering........

We used to have one many moons ago but the children were very young and it was just too much so we didn't do it properly and eventually gave it up.

Now the DC's are older and we have given up other commitments so we have a little more time. Everybody seems to wax lyrical about them but... Advice please, is it worth it? Does it save you money? Does it take a lot of time per week?

Thanks
scarlett

Re: Allotments

Post by scarlett »

The children don't do much on ours apart from eat the beans and climb trees but I just love the peace and tranquility of sowing seeds and although it is hard work, it is very satisfying.Don't expect to grow enough to live off though....2 knobbly potatoes....4 curly carrots and 100 courgettes is usually our lot.
moved

Post by moved »

Love mine to bits. Loads of short, fat cucumbers and peas at the moment. It is my escape from life. DD will come and help but gets bored easily. DS is fine to deliver tea and cart back rubbish. I take the ipad and listen to podcasts whilst weeding. Didn't get down much lately as very busy at work and half the courgettes have turned into marrows!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I'm not a gardener, but I'd love one. I would enjoy growing veggies and 'things'

My next door neighbour has set aside a small bit (about 12 foot x 12 foot) of his garden as an allotment. He grows all sorts there (runner beans, curly cale and other stuff :oops: ) he has so much of it he gives it away (don't think they can have a very big freezer :shock: .

I'm surprised there's allotments going begging though, usually there's huge long (years and years) waiting lists.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I know I was surprised too.

I just love growing veggies in pots in the garden, beans, potatoes, salad, tomatoes etc and do quite well but was wondering how it would be to scale up.

Do they do half an allotment do you know it's just they seemed enormous when I walked over there:?
moved

Post by moved »

We have a half and it is very weedy at the moment. Will be there tomorrow with a friend from work. Weeding and chatting, bottle of wine in the afternoon and all will be well.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Sadly mad? is on holiday as I know she is the queen of the allotment and would be full of brilliant advice.
She shares it with two other friends so there is always some one around to water, weed etc. If it looks enormous perhaps you can find a couple of mates to share with too.

Like moved she also finds it a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle. ( her finger nails however, are not what they could be )
moved

Post by moved »

Are finger nails not supposed to be jagged and black? :mrgreen:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Finger nails I can cope with, mine are always short anyway. May give them a ring and see what they say. Think DH may veto it though as he'll think it is another/repeat flash in the pan. Perhaps if I send him round the veg aisle in the supermarket he may change his mind!
moved

Post by moved »

OH did get a bit fed up with having to dig every weekend during the almost drought when the ground was really hard. Much easier now, but weeding is the first priority after the last few weeks of over work and under play.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now