Practise Papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FreddySam

Practise Papers

Post by FreddySam »

My son is taking practise 11+ exams at his primary school this week. The school is not intending to give any feedback until September. This seems ridiculous to me - how are they supposed to remember what they've done? I know that those students who have done the practise exam at the grammer school (because they are out of county) had feedback the day they sat the exams. Do I have a right to request my son's paper back from his school before the summer hols?
Alex

Re: Practise Papers

Post by Alex »

It is irritating that primary schools show no consistency at all when it comes to the practice tests. I am afraid that I have no idea whether you can "demand" the papers from the school. I suspect not as the practice papers are not changed year to year so some schools do not wish them to go home and risk them being disseminated.

I think that the "feedback" varies enormously between primary schools - ( I have known anything from simply marking the questions right or wrong in class with no further feedback except the score, sending the paper home to be marked by the parent, to going through it thoroughly explaining to the children what the correct answer is and how to approach the type of question) and also between the Grammars themselves. The "feedback" when some of my children sat the practice tests in the local Grammar was simply to go through the papers and mark them - no explanations.

Sorry not to be able to give a more definitive response.
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

My son is an out of county applicant and he said they marked a couple of questions from each section. He sat the practice at Carres, Sleaford. They weren't allowed to bring the papers home so I have no idea how he did. I just got the usual reply "it was fine!" from him. Our primary doesn't do anything to help them prepare, its really frustrating. I can't see why your primary can't give you more feedback,especially if they are encouraging pupils to go for it, even if they don't allow you to actually take the paper away. As you say, it'd be helpful for you to know before September! Good luck.
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

We receive the total raw marks for each test and the percentage for each test from our DD's primary. The school don't send the papers home for us to look at because they are past papers.

Good luck for september :D
FreddySam

Post by FreddySam »

Thanks for your replies. Practise was yesterday and the only feedback I got from my son was that it was 'fine' but he forgot how to do the codes - arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!! As expected no feedback from the school..
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I don't think we actually got feedback from the school although DS says he may have recieved a bit, but the pupils did several papers which were marked and which they could then bring home.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Neither of the primaries my DC attend/ed give feedback on the 2 practice papers, although they do go through them with the children.

I wasn't bothered, I don't see any point in feedback from these because the primary cannot standardise them and the papers are used from year to year. When DS was doing 11+ his friend had done the very same papers with his tutor the night before and we also had a copy.

The papers in school, as far as I'm concerned, are simply just to give a feel for what the arrangements for the real test will be.
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

FreddySam wrote:Thanks for your replies. Practise was yesterday and the only feedback I got from my son was that it was 'fine' but he forgot how to do the codes - arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!! As expected no feedback from the school..

We've had our practise this week too.... This morning a few of the parents asked the Head if we could see the papers, and although he has been asked by kevigs not to let the papers leave the school he is happy for us to come into school and look at them. :)

HTH
FreddySam

Post by FreddySam »

That's an interesting idea - might try and see if I can do the same. It would just be useful to see the areas of weakness! It's just frustrating because I know that out of county children who did the test have had the opportunity to see how they have done - would be good to have a level playing ground!
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

I'm out of county and we did the practice papers at Carres a couple of weekends ago. I can confirm that we weren't given feedback and the papers weren't marked in full, they just went through a couple of the questions in each section with the kids. As parents, we have been told nothing so please don't worry that we've had any advantage.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now