How many after school clubs for a year 4 boy?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pmmum

How many after school clubs for a year 4 boy?

Post by pmmum »

We have just received the listing of all the after school activities my DS can start when he goes into year 4 in Sept. These are activities at school from about 3.30 to 4.30 and he wants to do 4 of them so only 1 night off. These are all sports/PE based and I do not think they do enough PE/games in his school so was inclined to let him.

However I was wondering whether this was too much - he also does piano and cubs. We have a routine that homework/reading/times tables is done every night at 6.00 (it what works for us) but before that he tends to want to just play on computer/wii and it takes a lot of nagging to get him to go do something else.

I was just wondering how many activities other people thought was about right for this age group? I know I will need to reduce the amount he does in year 5 leading up to the 11+.
menagerie

Re: How many after school clubs for a year 4 boy?

Post by menagerie »

What does he do at weekends? My son does sport two nights a week and each morning at the weekend so four sessions, plus piano, cubs and chess. He also sometimes has orchestra and choir when the school is leading up to a big concert. He manages it all fine and never seems tired. We've made him drop down to two sports activities a week from Yr 5 because we're stepping up the homework a bit in preparation for the exams as our only grammars are super-selectives. He's pretty disappointed. You'll know if it's too much because he'll say he doesn't want to go after a few sessions. You can always drop the least favourite after a term if he's shattered.

I agree with you that running around a school field with his friends is far more fun than sitting at a screen all afternoon (which is what my DC do if left to their own devices.) The only thing I do think they need some time for is doing nothing. Milling about, out on their bikes with friends, or building lego or mucking around in the garden. Times for them to relax when they're not answerable to a grown up or plugged into a screen. I think it really helps them unwind properly.
katel

Post by katel »

"I know I will need to reduce the amount he does in year 5 leading up to the 11+."

Why? My ds is just finishing year 5, and he's done drama on Mondays, choir on Tuesdays, Cricket and Cubs on Thursday and football on Friday and Saturday mornings. Oh, and trumpet during school time on Mondays. All the after school clubs finish at 4.15 - 4.30 at the latest - still loads of day left after that!

We should be aiming at producing well rounded individuals - don;t let them miss out on any of the fun and learning in Primary school just because we have an idea where we want them to go to Secondary school.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I really think it depends on the child. You will be able to judge it when he has done a few weeks and I am certainly in the better running around than being sat in front of a screen camp, at least whilst the weather is good in the first few weeks of term.

DS2 has just left Yr4 and certainly played a full part in after school clubs.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think doodles is right.it really does depend on the child. If they seem to be able to cope and are having fun , with no adverse effect on school work then it can be beneficial,but maybe set a limit for each week if you think its too much.
;D
doodles

Post by doodles »

I seem to remember that after halfterm in the Autumn term we gave up Monday night's club. It just wasn't nice turning out on freezing dark Monday nights in November - that was me not him :lol:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

You haven't mentioned if you any other children or not. Therefore, if after school clubs mean you have to compromise the rest of the family. ie . rushed meals etc, or you end up to and fro ferrying everyone around, then perhaps reconsider which clubs you commit to. Also, I like my children to have blob-out time. ie. no clubs or activities, although after school clubs usually finish sufficiently early to allow this, unlike some organised events.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You haven't mentioned if you any other children or not.
That's my problem. I was just starting to feel guilty that DC3 doesn't go to after school clubs very much when I remembered why. All the out of school activities that he and the other 2 DCs do. Right now one is at youth club, one is about to go to dance class and the other is blobbing in front of the TV/chatting to friends on facebook. That's about par for the course.
scary mum
pmmum

Post by pmmum »

I have an older DD who will start grammar school in Sept, but she will get the bus home from school so this does not really impact him as she will be getting home about the same time he would from after school club.

Thanks for the advice - I will start him off with the ones he wants to do and see how it goes after 1 term.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

If they are all after school , then presumably you just pick him up an hour later then usual? ( sorry , if you've mentioned this ) that doesn't sound too bad and still early to be back home. Some of my sons/ daughters clubs don't finish until nearly 8 and that's a real pain...(.nothing done before, a rushed dinner and then you realise you still need to do packed lunches at 11 pm...)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now