Bad Y3 teacher following dd into Y4

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2Girlsmum

Bad Y3 teacher following dd into Y4

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I was horrified today to be informed that the worst teacher in the school (well below average), who has basically failed to teach or inspire both my daughters is following dd2 up a year. Dd1 suffered 2 years of her as she was initially the Y1 teacher, but the children went to Y2 in need of cramming to improve them for the KS1 tests. The head moved her to Y3 where DD1 then endured her again. I'm not some neurotic parent. This woman has failed to teach times tables to Y3 (she gets them to sing to a tape whilst looking at a poster on the wall), when children ask the meaning of words her helpful reply is 'I'm not a walking dictionary', and she has favourites and 'interesting' behaviour (shouts a lot, eats sweets in class and has been known to pick her nose/ears - sometimes with a pencil :shock: - in class).

Short of trying to find dd a place at another school I wonder what can be done. I'm hoping to speak to parents in the playground tomorrow, but time is short. Three mothers were outraged today, and a friend who is a maths teacher (husband is a governor) stated last week 'thank f*** we've seen the back of her'.

:shock: :shock: :shock: H-e-l-p!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
vasu

Re: Bad Y3 teacher following dd into Y4

Post by vasu »

A rather "victorian strict" teacher was scaring the living daylights of children for a few years. My ds1 too endured her a few years back. She would shout at the parents too :x This year's parents made a petition, got everyone to sign. The teacher was told by the headteacher/governors/parent association, to tone it down or walk out. Well she decided to retire this year. Whew! She says she never realised she was being so hard on the kids!!! I say gather forces and talk to the Head.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

That really is a terrible situation to be in.

Have you tried approaching the teacher by yourself or with other parents, and directly telling them that there is a problem and you would like to have a discussion on the best way for both parties to have a more productive classroom sessions?

Or you could try a formal complaint but the petition idea will make the head more aware of your feelings.You could list the problems and have others sign it, anonymously, if they don't want their name attached.
;D
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Thanks everyone. The head is on a school trip today, but the current situation is one parent (math's teacher with governor hubbie) has contacted the chair of governors about it and she has e-mailed her concerns to the school as they are in Majorca due to family bereavement. Another parent has stated that she was forced to pay a tutor when her older daughter had her, and her daughter in Y3 was in tears last night at the thought of another year. Both families have stated they will look for another school if she is Y4 teacher next year. We will try to meet with the head tomorrow, but I also discovered that the decision was made a few weeks ago and only disclosed yesterday so it was a tactical late disclosure:(
solimum

Post by solimum »

My DS1 had an awful Yr3 form teacher (she seemed to dislike boys particularly), so when the school decided at the end of his far happier year 4 (or was it 5) to rearrange the classes into the next year AND that she would be one of the form teachers as well I had a quiet word with his current teacher to the effect that it would be a VERY BAD IDEA for him to have her again.... Fortunately he escaped, but being a large (3-4 form entry) primary there was at least room for manoeuvre - plus they were often in different groups for English & Maths anyway
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh tricky. Yes if everyone is happy to sign I'd go for a mass complaint. But it she's this bad, shouldn't she be shifted out of the school? It's probably too late to change who teaches which class next year as the organised teachers will already have done some planning? What a mess.

I have been the only person to do official complaint that I am aware of at my school, despite there being other unhappy parents. I have been dealt with unpleasantly as a consequence, but things have improved. If you are able to rally the support of other parents then I would.

But Scarlett will be along to cheer you up and tell you that it's better to concentrate on doing extra at home and forget the complaining, but just go tell th head how concerned you are about your child's learning and burst into tears. That is also definitely good advice!!

Good luck.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

You need to get as many parents as possible to back you up. Maybe the head willl thank you for it.
I was told a few years ago by a Head that it was impossible to get rid of staff unless there were official complaints about them so it could just be what she was hoping for as otherwise her hands are tied if technically the teacher has done nothing 'wrong'.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi 2Girlsmum, I really feel for the predicament that you are in. I had issues with a teacher's performance at my child's old primary school. I was so concerned that I asked to meet with the headteacher and told her about everything that was going on. Fortunately for me, she took my concerns seriously and, after speaking with the teacher, agreed with what I had said. The teacher never spoke to me again after that but never mind. Things did improve academically after this but I couldn't wait for him to move classes. I'm glad I spoke up even though it didn't make me very popular with the teacher.

Whilst I think it's a good idea to get other parents' views, it might be better to speak with the head teacher/chair of governors independently as it could look like a bit of a 'witch' hunt. Just my opinion though.

Anyway, I wish you well and hope that things get sorted for you.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

If several parents mention looking at other schools the head will soon realise this move is a bad idea. I feel sorry for you it is a horrible thought - another whole year with a bad teacher. All 3 of my DCs did 2 years each with one (she used to put the telly on all the time - once they even watched the snooker because she was out of the room and "Magic Key" finished and it went onto the tv channel!!) And she was horrible. Even though it was known she was bad and parents were not happy she remained. I ditched the school, went to a good one and have never looked back. I just regret not doing it 5 years earlier. After 6 consecutive years I was ready to put a custard pie in her face (to put it mildly)and would still love to. From what I hear she is still rubbish. I agree with other posters try and get back up and speak to the chair of govs. Moonlight's right though you don't want it to come across as a witch hunt. It is a tricky one and hard to sort out. You feel like a "trouble maker". PS I agree the announcement was tactical! Good luck to you, hope you work it out. If not then have some "health days" during the year and try and keep the basics going at home.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now