Indestructible boys school shoes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
andyb

Indestructible boys school shoes

Post by andyb »

It's nearly the summer holidays so all thoughts turn to new school shoes for September! DS tends to destroy shoes either by playing football in them or refusing to undo laces before putting on/taking off (I blame his father - I have never known him to untie his shoe laces, ever :evil: ). I am looking for something that he might actually grow out of before they surrender to the torture he puts them through. I thought perhaps a slip-on as that's what he does anyway, but all the styles I have seen tend to have a more "office shoe" type sole which would just not do - think more along the lines of a road builders boot!

I would welcome suggestions for shoes that can cope with "real" teenage boys.
Looking for help

Re: Indestructible boys school shoes

Post by Looking for help »

Oh me too, shoes are a constant problem here as well. Although I suspect the 'indestructible before outgrown' shoe has not yet been developed for teenage boys. Mind you I have a daughter in 6th form who cannot keep a pair of shoes in a sensible condition for more than 5 minutes either. :roll:
doodles

Post by doodles »

One pair per year for both my boys (unless they grow like billyo). The make we get is Ricosta and they seem indestructible even for playground Beckhams and Rooneys. We have Ricosta Joe (lace up) for DS1 and Ricosta Jack (velcro) for DS2 - can you tell we buy them year after year!!

One word of warning they are relatively expensive as school shoes go but they last and last and last so I have never had to rebuy during the year. If you shop around you may be able to get them cheaper.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I've always been a Clarks fan and have found that they withstand my ds playing football in them, and they have lasted a year.
Ally

Post by Ally »

I've tried loads of makes of shoe and ended up trying to use superglue to make them last more then 6 weeks. But with school shoes you get what you pay for.
Ricosta are brilliant shoes they're the one make of shoe that will survive the playground. DS has managed to wear the treed down but the stitching on the right toe has still survived!! Ds has tended to need 2 pairs a year, always can't make then last past May time, and then replaced at Oct half term(ish). Over the past couple of years Ricosta have become more expensive approx £50+, due to the euro exchange rate, so our shoe shop has started to switched to Rhino shoes( made by startrite), at approx £45. also great quality, maybe not quite as strong as Ricosta, but seem to be lasting OK.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

We usually have bought Clarks, and they have been falling apart after a term. I've not heard of Ricosta, will look into them, although must confess, we don't spend a lot of time searching. I just spend a lot of time gtetting annoyed that the £40 or so doesn't last very long :roll:
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

pheasantchick wrote:I've always been a Clarks fan and have found that they withstand my ds playing football in them, and they have lasted a year.
Clarkes have always worked for us.But I have heard of Ricosta being mentioned as being very durable.
;D
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Where do you normally buy these from? I don't want to purchase shoes online for DS but am v v interested in these given he has been through 3 pairs of Clarks shoes in Y7.... (at a cost of over £100 :shock: )
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

A very good independent shoe shop, which stocks a wide range of shoes is Golden B..T in Maidstone. They stock a good range of shoes, from Clarks to the more expensive brands (not sure if they stock Ricosta).
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Rhino have always lasted for ours but he's not a footballer (I don't think they'd suffer much from that tho', they're extremely heavily engineered and tbh I wouldn't want to wear something that "robust"!). Clarks never lasted all that well for us.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now