Sharing our Reading List...

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Midget Man

Re: Member Suggestions for Reading Material

Post by Midget Man »

My YR7 boy at secondary is loving Bernard Cornwell's collection of Sharpe books from the school library, has read 5 of them already in less than 4 weeks so they must really grab him!
wurzel

Post by wurzel »

DS1, voracious reader till end of yr 6, then almost non-reader for 18 months, is now reading again, to my delight. Still re-reads Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter etc., but has also enjoyed
War of the Worlds and The Time Machine (HG Wells)
The DaVinci Code and others in series (Dan Brown)
The Book Thief (Marcus Zusack, I think)
Nikki67

Post by Nikki67 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so thought I'd recommend a fantastic resource to you...

The following site offers some superb book choices, with reviews and extracts to download. The featured 'Books for boys' section is particularly good for reluctant boys...

Check out 'Love Reading 4 Kids.' http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/

Hope it helps! :)
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Can I just say how nice it is to see Amber’s name reappear at the top of a thread some time after she left the Forum. Come back Amber :D
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

We are reading a brilliant young adult (teen) book. It is called The Breadwinner Collection. There are three books that can be bought separately The Breadwinner, Pavana's Journey and Mud City or read as a collection in one lengthy tome! If you enjoyed A Thousand Splendid Suns or The Kite Runner you will love these books. I am reading them with the children and we are all gripped. There is lots to talk about but also some distressing content - beatings by the Taliban etc. Might be worth reading them through yourself first.
Last edited by Blitz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Blitz, thanks for those.

Here's a few I'd add:

Blackhearts in Battersea - a follow up to Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Joan Aitken), suitable for girls and boys alike. I read it aloud to my DS aged 8 and he loved it.

The Silver Sword by Ian Serrallier - an absolute classic (IMO it beats The Machine Gunners hands down as the best children's novel about WW2.) Beautifully written and incredibly moving and gripping.

Thief by Mallory Blackman - sloooow to start but a really interesting idea, great for discussion. (How different your life would be if you had just made one important decision differently.)
flicka

Post by flicka »

I read to my DS every day. We're reading an abridged Canterbury Tales at the moment, and an old book I found on the shelf from my childhood about a channel island being occupied by germans. It was written in 1941 and it is glaringly obvious that styles of writing for children have changed in the last seventy years! The language used is really quite difficult! A good story for reading together.
I found a wonderful website called The Baldwin Project which has free downloads (I read online) of all sorts of fantastic stories to read to your children.
We've done loads of Bible stories, the Aeneid, the Odyssey, the Illiad, lots of Greek hero stories, ones about Rome, This Island Story on the history of Britain and now Chaucer. Some of the stories are a bit old fashioned, but most of them are great for reading aloud.
I like reading them myself, because some of them I've never heard before. I'm particularly enjoying the Canterbury Tales.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I read a post a few weeks back about the play 'The Crowstarver' being on in London soon. I had never heard of this story by Dick King Smith so was interested to read the blurb. It sounded a perfect book to read with my children so ordered it from the library. What a great read! This would be a perfect book for teachers to read to a class of 10-13 year olds.

Why do so few junior classes have a class reader on the go... or is that another post?!!

Just about to start 'Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry' which is similar to 'To Kill a Mockingbird' but for 12 plus age group.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Just reviving this thread to mention The Gideon Trilogy. Reading it with DC aloud right now. It's not difficult, but it is beautifully written with some wide ranging vocab, very descriptive but dynamic in plot. It's the first descriptive book my children have begged me to keep reading. We're only half way through book one, but clearly there are three books.

It's historical sci-fi fantasy, about two 21st C children who barely know each other falling back in time to 1763.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Does anyone know what the recommended reading age is for Anne Frank Diary? My daughter is reading it but she is really upset about the book, I have told her to stop but she wants to finish the book. I read it myself and thought it would be OK for a 12 year old.
Impossible is Nothing.