How many suits will he wear in sixth form?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MoJo

How many suits will he wear in sixth form?

Post by MoJo »

Two? Is that enough? Had bought one and then got two more in the sale! Now thinking three is excessive and perhaps take one back?

Thanks
Snowdrops

Re: How many suits will he wear in sixth form?

Post by Snowdrops »

At the very least you would need two, and could manage very happily with that.

However, I would say, as you got the suits in the sale, and especially if he's finished growing, I'd hang on to the extra suit. Either your son could use it now, or he could keep it for 'best' and then use it more generally as one of his 'every day' suits starts to wear.

Hope he enjoys his time in sixth form!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I have to agree. DS started off with one, rather expensive (well imo, but not his) and we bought a couple of cheaper 'every day' ones. The nicer one was worn less often so as not to ruin it..... although he did get grease from his push bike on the trousers :roll: The dry cleaners got most of that out and he has used the really good suit in interviews now he has finished, and it still looks good so was an investment which he will continue to use. The cheap ones were a mistake and I do wish I had bought another better quality one rather than 2 cheap ones, although if you got some in the sale then a good result. (note to self: DS2 needs suits for 6th form entry so need to get out there and find some in the sales!)

So I would also say if you can afford it keep all 3, but if you opted out of paying the gas bill this month then it needs to go back :lol:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
solimum

Post by solimum »

So pleased we have escaped this! DS1 at 6th form college could wear what he liked (as a PhD student I don't think he even owned a suit until his graduation!) DS2 attended a boys grammar school 6th form and seemed quite happy to wear their uniform (washable) blazer (everything important can stay in the same set of pockets all year...) and M&S trousers - at university he probably wears his dinner jacket ensemble most often, mainly for concerts!. DD is at a 6th form where "smart casual" seems to work pretty well - she has a selection mostly of smart skirts & tops, the boys wear mostly chinos & shirts/jumpers (sometimes ties) and they all look diligent without being mini-Apprentice clones! Also many boys (I remember DS1 in particular) are still growing fast aged 16-18

I've noticed several local 6th forms moving towards the "suit for 6th formers" option recently - do the heads have shares in dry cleaning companies?!
Last edited by solimum on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The trouble with suits for 6th formers is that it's difficult at open days and school events to tell which are the junior teachers and which are the pupils :lol: . I think it's good for 6th formers to have a different look though. Son is at a GS that currently sticks with uniform all the way through while daughter is going to a school that's smart casual in 6th form; I can imagine that being far and away the most expensive option of all.

Mike
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I find the whole "business attire" thing odd in the sixth form. I know they want them to look presentable and I can understand that (although the "skirts" some of the girls where cannot really be called presentable, imo!!), but most of them from GSs will be off to uni in a couple of years time where they will wear jeans. I'm dreading going shopping with DD for sixth form attire next year. I went to a well known private school where we were allowed to wear (more or less) anything - I wonder what they are allowed to wear now? Mind you, it did result in some "interesting" outfits as it was at the tail end of the punk era!! :lol: :lol:
scary mum
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I asked DD what they wear in her 6th form and I was somewhat surprised to learn they still wear school uniform. The only difference is they wear a 6th form tie and the girls can wear skirts down to their ankles if they so wish (and a lot of them chose to do so).

The prefects also get to wear the black scholar (?) cloaks - you know, as in Harry Potter. That made DD want to be a prefect when we first looked around, I wonder if she'll be so keen once she's (hopefully) in sixth form?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
tense

Post by tense »

My DC will wear "business attire" in the 6th form; for my DS that will include a 6th form tie.

The rationale behind it is that they can go straight from school to an interview. I think, on the whole, they look very smart. There are rules about colour / tightness / length of certain items which keeps (most) excesses at bay!
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Thanks. Got a lovely suit from N**T for less than half price. Was lucky that I found the jacket and then the trousers in the right size. A lucky find!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now