Selective ability

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

esh

Selective ability

Post by esh »

Could any parent whose child has got in to Grammar school kindly let me know what mark a child of selective ability should be getting on a typical 11+, NFER, GL Assessment (English, Maths, VR and NVR)? I am panicking now as we haven't had time to do any extras and only 2 months to go for the first exam! He is a level 5 in school but not sure if these levels mean anything at all when it comes to Grammar schools.
menagerie

Re: Selective ability

Post by menagerie »

If he's level five at the end of yr 5 he's doing very well!
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Level 5 is good.

It's not an exact science but getting above about 80% is good in the practise papers. Depends a bit on the school your DC applying for, but aiming ideally for nearer 90% ideal. But of course it's all down to performance on the day in the end.

Best of luck.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Esh, I think I'm right in saying that to be confident of a place a candidate needs to be regularly scoring 95% or more across the board (Eng, Maths, NVR and VR) in Surrey as all the selectives are supers and massively oversubscribed. (We're in your area too.) You might get in with a far lower score, but that depends on the papers set and the competition.
esh

Post by esh »

Thank you all for all the advice.
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Just to say obviously acheiving a score of 95% or higher in practise tests is going to make getting into GS more likely for your DC; but my DD got into a GS with a 10% chance of getting in (so pretty tough odds) and she was scoring from as low as 74% all the way up to 100% over the year she worked towards the exam. As I said averaging about 88% in tests and she performed on the day and got in with a decent score.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

That's really encouraging Doblinski. Is she at one of the Surrey super selectives?
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Yes Tiffin
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

esh wrote:Could any parent whose child has got in to Grammar school kindly let me know what mark a child of selective ability should be getting on a typical 11+, NFER, GL Assessment (English, Maths, VR and NVR)? I am panicking now as we haven't had time to do any extras and only 2 months to go for the first exam! He is a level 5 in school but not sure if these levels mean anything at all when it comes to Grammar schools.

Refer to this link, it contains some good info!!!

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=19528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stressedparent
esh

Post by esh »

Thanks for the very useful information
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now