Days out-kent

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

Days out-kent

Post by pheasantchick »

After reading the Turner thread, decided to start a 'days out' thread for Kent ( p'haps other posters could cover different regions).

Bike rides- if you go on the Explore Kent website, there are several good ideas for off road cycle rides. By off road, I mean traffic free, rather then mountain biking.
mum23*

Re: Days out-kent

Post by mum23* »

PC thanks, we are going camping in Kent this summer and have never been before so any ideas would be great. Will be meeting up with a good friend I haven't seen for years who lives in Whitstable but the campsite is near Tunbridge Wells so looking to explore the area. Is the Turner place Margate? I haven't seen the thread. What are the best bits in Kent then? We will be camping with family and friends and have children from 7 to 14 with us.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Bedgebury Pinetum, is good for a family. You can hire bikes if you don't have your own, there are family cycle paths and off road mountain bike tracks. There is also a large play area for kids, probably better suited to under 14s, and there is also a Go Ape there. All for £8 per car parking (Go Ape is extra and probably best booked in advance).

It's also very convenient to Tunbridgw Wells.
Another worried Mum

Post by Another worried Mum »

Hever Castle is a great day out. A tudor castle, where Anne Boleyn was born, they have a yew maze and also a water maze - great way to cool down and have fun on a hot day. Check out their website,[ http://www.hevercastle.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;], as they also have jousting days and falconry at weekends throughout the summer. This is great entertainment too! Take a folding chair, a picnic, a jug of Pimms :wink: perhaps and cheer for your favourite knight!

Also, the Hop Farm is good for younger children. There is a small paddling pool; little cars to drive; animals in pets corner; train rides and lots of other attractions. This is a working hop farm , set in the countryside and also has far/historic exhibits based in the typical Kent oast houses, so a very pretty setting. They also have a website: http://www.thehopfarm.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps! :)
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Tunbridge Wells and Cantebury are nice to wander around.

I believe you can get tickets to Hever via T....o reward scheme.

Leeds castle is also good.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

diggerland!
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Oh yes, Diggerland! A great favourite in our house especially with the 'big kids'!

Chatham Docks, Dickens World, Rochester Castle, Dover Castle are all fabulous days out and can be paid for with tesco vouchers. Most give an annual ticket for the normal price. So we went back to Chatham docks 4 times (with various combinations of friends) last year for free.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

English Heritage do great kids days during the holidays, if you google them you can see what is on offer. My children used to love dressing up as gladiators or being part of an army attacking the french!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Kent & East Sussex Railway. Catch the train from Tenterden and travel to Bodiam. Walk to the castle, spend the day there and catch the train back again.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Lullingstone Roman Villa is a nice afternoon out - wouldn't stretch to a day by itself but makes a nice afternoon.
Chartwell is also very nice, as are Hever and Igtham Moat. We also love Bedgebury Pinetum, although I thought GoApe was quite pricey, the rest of it is amazing value. Bodiam Castle is a must for boys (and girls too :oops: ) who are into castles.

Beginning to realise we are very lucky living here - must use some of these facilities!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now