Week off school before the exam ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rinette

Week off school before the exam ?

Post by Rinette »

My son's tutor strongly recommended him to have a week off school before the 11+ exam.
My first instinct was to decline as I do not like the idea of him missing school for another reason than illness and also I would like to keep it as low key as possible.
However I am now wondering what other children do ? Is it common to take a few days off before the exam ? Have you or will you do it ?
Thanks for sharing your experience :D !
hermanmunster

Re: Week off school before the exam ?

Post by hermanmunster »

Don't know of many doing that ... if it is the 11 plus then lots of kids at school will be doing it and they tend to jolly each other along. Also being at school takes their mind off it - whereas being at home for week - presumably to concentrate on the exam - may cause more anxiety.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think it is a ridiculous idea...(other opinions are of course available) especially if the exam is in the first few weeks of a new term.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

I've heard a lot of strange advice on these forums, but this takes the cake. What next? Have DS/DD spend the week off school reclining on a sofa in a darkened room while you gently massage their feet and feed them peeled grapes, all the time playing soothing motivational tapes in the background?
:roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

just wondering if during this week he will be having extra sessions with the tutor?
Rinette

Post by Rinette »

yoyo123 wrote:just wondering if during this week he will be having extra sessions with the tutor?
I am not sure. Lots of homework and revisions, probably...
But thank you for your opinions, it is reassuring. My first reaction was then not totally out of touch :wink: .
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No Rinette, sounds like your first reaction was a bit like ours!
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

that is the most ridiculous piece of advice I have heard in a long time. I would have thought being in school picking up last bits of tips and techniques would have been the way forward. Unless that week is being used to start tutoring.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I didn't keep my DS out of school, nor would I recommend it. The school will probably suspect why a bright child is absent the week before the exam and it adds pressure to the child. Better to keep things as normal as possible, I reckon. How much can you do in a week, anyway?
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Finish any studying weekend before and keep that week as "normal" as possible which includes going to school. The last couple of evenings before the exam we just watched some DVDs (light entertainment). The only thing to watch out for as they approach the date, if they show any signs of being a bit under the weather, pull them straight out of school to try and shake it off.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now