What are your Y4s doing over the summer?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

What are your Y4s doing over the summer?

Post by Manana »

Are you having a break completely over the holidays or carrying on as normal?

Since March, we have been doing a Bond Maths and a Bond Comprehension/English paper each week, as well as looking at the IPS question types. All very casual and apart from the English (!) *we* are enjoying it!

I've got the CGP Maths and English books and we've decided to do a page of those (younger DD is doing one for her age group, too) each day, but I thought we might just do that rather than Bond for the summer. They take about 10 minutes each page (so it's only 20 mins a day). I just wondered what everyone else is doing as I'm DIY tutoring with child number one, so rather new to all this. Are tutors carrying on during the hols? We're not going for the super selectives if that makes a difference.

Many thanks!
Minesatea

Re: What are your Y4s doing over the summer?

Post by Minesatea »

Can't help really as I didn't start until year 5 with mine but my gut reaction is to say give her a rest over the holiday. This time next year you may want to be doing some as the exam will be fairly close, so let her have this year as a true holiday.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

My DS is going into Yr 5. We're doing some maths. Making sure times tables are rock solid with grids, computer games and will get round to flash cards too. Also a few papers left over from last year we didn't get round to doing in Maths & English, just to remind ourselves really. Managed two sessions so far, so will probably aim for 3-4 per week, about 30 mins each.
moved

Post by moved »

Can I just say reading, reading and then perhaps some reading. It is the best way I know to develop their vocabulary, which is necessary for 75% of the exam.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

That's spot on moved........it's so very important. It's a win-win they can enjoy some good books and chill out at the same time :)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The Essex libraries summer reading challenge - circus stars.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ds2 going into Yr5 in September. Had planned to be quite structured with him this holiday but he did ok at school last year and so we have taken the foot off the pedal to a certain extent as the summer holiday next year will be quite different!

That said, he is doing somethings even though he doesnt know it. He is reading, reading, reading and we are playing games like scrabble, rummikub, word searches, sudoku etc. There are also some games that he plays on-line with his friends and if he asks about words he's told to get the dictionary! or if he asks the time he's told to go and look at the clock! Just keeping him ticking over really. If we have some wet afternoons I may get some Bond books out but he needs to be a kid at the moment!
moved

Post by moved »

It is also worth adapting your vocabulary.
You can stoop to pick up the refuse rather than bend to pick up the rubbish.

I used to play games in the car with nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs.

Think of an animal: tiger
Think of an adjective: tyrannical
Think of a verb: tearing
Think of an adverb: terrifyingly

Tyrannical tigers tearing terrifyingly.

This kept us amused on long journeys.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Like that one Moved, we play the ABC game in the car, it can go on forever and ever.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now