DS with leukaemia

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
reeyah

DS with leukaemia

Post by reeyah »

Hi Everyone
Wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar situation!?
My DS is due to take the exam this November. He is being treated for leukaemia which was diagnosed in October 2009. He has missed most of year 4 at school and now the gaps in his knowledge are very obvious. I also feel the existing chemotherapy is still affecting his memory and concentration. Prior to all this he performed very well at school, and gained level 3 and 2a at KS1.
Anyway, just want to know can I expect any sympathy from the KE foundation?!
Would be great to hear any advice!
no_ball

Re: DS with leukaemia

Post by no_ball »

By sympathy I assume you mean extra points added onto test score?
Have you rung the lea for official guidance on this matter?
um

Post by um »

That is a difficult and sad case...
You can ask for dispensation in the examination.
You should ask for and complete form A1 from the Consortium of Grammar schools.
Be aware that this form must be returned by 16th September.

You will need a letter from a medical professional, for example, and the form must also be signed by the Headteacher at your son's school.

You can request certain adjustments in the exam, such as sitting at the front to hear instructions better if your child is hearing impaired, or a larger font if your child is sight impaired. However in your case I am not sure what you would request. It would be best to discuss this with your consultant/medical professional as well as the foundation office on 01214156004. They will consider your request and you will hear of their decision in Mid October.

Sadly, KS1 results will likely have little bearing on entry to grammar school.
There will be many thousands of children in and around Birmingham with level 3 at the end of Year 2, and level 5 at the end of Year 6 but not all will gain entry to a Grammar School.

Best wishes
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Others can speak more knowledgeably about the Foundation, but admission arrangements are usually applied very rigidly. The one obvious concession is mentioned above by Um - namely, where someone is eligible under the Equality Act for special consideration with regard to the testing arrangements. For example, if it would help a disabled pupil's concentration to be allowed the occasional break during an 11+ test, and such a request has the support of a hospital consultant or doctor, the relevant admission authority ought to consider making this adjustment. Extra time is another possibility (although this tends to be less often granted).

Quite separate from the admission arrangements is the appeal system where an independent panel can look at individual cases. There is much more scope for exercising discretion here (as compared with the admission arrangements), but what happens in practice very much depends on the individual appeal panel. Some appeal panels are less generous with their decisions than others, and - as far as I'm aware - the number of successful appeals relating to the Foundation has tended to be on the low side when compared with the national average.
Etienne
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Thank u for your v helpful and kind replies :-)

Um, yes I've emailed and also spoken to them about the A1 form. They have sent a very detailed emailed reply. I can request extra time or a rest period in between. Not sure yet about what to request really!

Etienne, I think you are most probably right. If DS doesn't pass ( I don't think he will), it's the Appeal procedure which may help us. He will be off the chemo in January 2013, and I feel that is probably when his skills will be back to how they used to be. Such a shame that by then all decisions will have been made!

All in all, main thing is DS's health. I'm aware of that :-).
Thanks again all x
Last edited by reeyah on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

No_ball, you're right, I should ask specifically what happens to the score in such circumstances :-)
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Indeed, that is what I summarised from your last paragraph.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

If the foundation are offering extra time, this may help. Not sure though, what effect the request for extra time, may have on an appeal.

Wishing you the best.

reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Thank you DIY mum. I never thought of that! Indeed extra time may not help matters when it comes to an appeal. Hmmmm, back to the drawing board ;-). X
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I should ask specifically what happens to the score in such circumstances
I know it happens with some tests/examinations, but I've never heard of 11+ scores being adjusted for extenuating circumstances - the usual response from admission authorities tends to be "You have the right of appeal".
DIY Mum wrote: If the foundation are offering extra time, this may help. Not sure though, what effect the request for extra time, may have on an appeal.
It would be a risky thing for an appeal panel to disadvantage someone at appeal because of a concession made under the Equality Act (the very purpose of which was to provide a legal framework so that a disabled pupil should not be disadvantaged in relation to non-disabled peers).

I would agree, though, that the reverse is probably true - i.e. a refusal to allow extra time (or insufficient extra time) despite a clear request from medical professionals ought to be a point in the appellant's favour.

I'm afraid the intense competition for a Foundation place has the knock-on effect that an appeal is not going to be easy. To maximise any possible chance, I suspect a wide range of academic indicators would be needed, e.g.
  • an 11+ score as close as possible to the score required,
  • evidence of very high achievement before the extenuating circumstances,
  • non-curricular evidence such as very high reasoning scores (90+ percentile) - it's worth noting that the sort of tests used by educational psychologists are not strictly timed.
  • See also: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DIY Mum wrote:Wishing you the best.
Me too :).
If we can be of any help with a future appeal, please don't hesitate to visit us over in the Appeals section.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now