Silly question regarding starting secondary schools

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pheasantchick

Silly question regarding starting secondary schools

Post by pheasantchick »

I feel a little embarrassed asking this, but what do year 7 children actually need.

Pens - fountain pen?Biro ? Handwriting pens?
Paper - how much
Folders
Other stationery

I had a wander around wh smiths earlier and suddenly thought I to get. :?

Thanks for your help.
no_ball

Re: Silly question regarding starting secondary schools

Post by no_ball »

pens and a maths set should suffice for now, wait for the first week and everything will become crystal clear!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My son has an equipment list.....

Art- pencils, eraser, sharpener and old shirt

Maths- Pair of compasses, eraser, protractor, ruler, calculator ( advises a particular type )

General- Black or blue fountain pen, biros...with spares, HB pencils , coloured pencils, small pair of scissors and a pritt stick. A reading book too.

No mention of paper or folders.Perhaps they are told to get things like that as they go along and need them.

See you in Smiths, PC !
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Difficult as schools will vary but DS has used the following regularly so this is what we are getting DD.

GCSE/ A level approved calculator
Fountain pen with washable ink cartridges and eraser pens
Pencils
Coloured pencils (DS's school asked for a set of drawing pencils)
Basic maths set
Rubber, pencil sharpener, ruler
Pritt stick
Plastic A4 wallet to carry homework to school and notes home with minimal creasing!
Plenty of sticky back plastic for covering the exercise books that will come home in the first week.

DS also has to carry a reading book at all times so I buy from charity shops/ car boat sales as by the time it has knocked around the bottom of his bag for weeks it is pretty much wrecked!

Have not needed folders or much paper except for the printer (plenty of ink required too!) Occasional project requests a folder but this is of the thin plastic kind.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

The nicest fountain pen for neat writing is the Rotring Art Pen Fine nib. Uses ink cartridges - the small ones. You can buy online. Does cost about £10-£12 though. I bought one each for DD1 and 2 Unfortunately it is such a nice pen that DD2s class mates kept trying to borrow it and it went missing :( I have had mine for 25 years! Wallpaper samples make sturdy book backing if you don't have to have sticky plastic and geog books look good backed in old maps or large travel type leaflets. Several teachers asked for the books to be backed "creatively" (usually only in Y7 by Y9 I don't think they expect too much like that!) The ink eraser pens are a godsend and plastic wallets and those card document wallets keep homework flat and clean.

I don't know anyone who doesn't like browsing for stationery! Although back to school ads in the hols still make me shudder from being a child.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I spotted a back to school display at local
Morrisons on the second to last day if summer term this year!!!
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I am one of those people who just loves buying stationary and my eldest will be starting year 7 as well in september.

I would firstly recomend good quality pens and a packet of biros is a must have.

We usually always end up having to buy a maths set annually as they always seem to get lost :|

Whsmiths have expanding folders that are usefull for keeping papers from all subjects. For paper I think BOTH plain and lined paper would be needed.
;D
doodles

Post by doodles »

It's the usual pens, pencils, glue stick and scissors (especially if your dc uses a left handed pair)

They will probably be given exercise books - DS's are beautifully covered in clear sticky back plastic as I love doing it! Hope he gets new ones in September (ok I know I am sad.....)

DS also devised his own system of a plastic foolscap popper/zipper file for each subject, because they were foolscap everything for each subject could be kept together and he just had to grab the appropriate files each morning. Joking aside it actually worked very well. This year he will be working on packing his bag the night before, I reckon that by Yr 12 he should just about have got it all cracked!
marigold

Post by marigold »

Maths sets are currently 90p in Tesco, I bought five as my son lost three compasses/ protractors/rulers ( ie they used them in three lessons and he lost them each time) during year 7 and by February the only ones I could find were the expensive £5.99 sets.

Sticky back plastic, hand writing pens and good quality pencils are also half price, I have stocked up. The lady at the till must have thought I have about seven children but they are never on special offer when you need them.
Following advice from this forum I have also bought large foolscap good quality zip up plastic files, one for each subject, to keep exercise book, text book and a million printed sheets in . My son used them for the last couple of weeks of term and while I will not quite go so far as saying they changed our lives they certainly improved the morning " shouty " sessions.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now