What to do whilst waiting as children sit the exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Zeezeemum

What to do whilst waiting as children sit the exams

Post by Zeezeemum »

I was hoping that some people who have been through the 11 plus journey before can give any tips or advice on how to spend the time whilst the children are actually doing the 11 plus exams. As the date is fast approaching for the exams i'm stressing over little things and was wondering how I'll keep myself busy whilst DD is doing the exams. Do parents hang around, go shopping, read a book or just watch the time go slowly by thinking of nothing else. It would be nice to know how you coped on the day and what you did to take your mind of it or what parents intend to do during the few hours the children will be taking the exams.
KS10

Re: What to do whilst waiting as children sit the exams

Post by KS10 »

OH and I had a stroll in town the first time and coffee and breakfast the second time. Call me heartless, but I would opt for something you want or need to do as there's no point in everyone suffering. :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I just got on with my normal daily activities during the exam...although was thinking of my son constantly.

The day you really want to be busy is results day ! I wandered aimlessly round the shops and by 3 pm I felt as if I was on the verge of a big emotional collapse...you then spend the rest of the day constantly refreshing the results page online whilst you feel that churning knot sensation building up to a huge crescendo. :shock:
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

When my DS sat his 11+ exam I went shopping for the morning. Spending money helped to take my mind off of things!

I did feel quite emotional waiting for him to come out of the school afterwards though. I stood there, with what seemed like hundreds of parents, realising just how many boys had sat the exam that day and how few would actually be lucky enough to get a place. When my son came over to me, I felt responsible for the fact that he had been through a 'nerve wracking' morning.

A year on and he has just completed Year 7 at our local grammar and all the anxiety was worth it. :)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I came home and spent most of the day on here :lol:

It helped - a bit, but whatever you do it will still be there and then, once you pick them up, you'll move on to the next stage of worrying - the results :shock: then, it'll be worrying about allocations day.

This world is just one BIG worry :roll:
sp

Post by sp »

Doesn't seem long since I was worrying about 11+ day as well. However now waiting for DS's GCSE results!! The difference is he doesn't seem in the slightest bit concerned, just hope he has no need to be!!

Good luck to every one, hope your DCs end up where they should be.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Sit down, have a posh coffee and slice of carrot cake, because your mind will be on nothing else but dc doing exam.
koala

Post by koala »

Husband and I took two children for two 11+ exams last year. The first time we drove home 10 miles, did a bit of gardening (I held a spade whilst I talked to husband so didn't really get any gardening done). In no time at all it was time to get them. The second exam a month later, we forgot about the gardening or trying to get anything done. We drove 15-20 mins away and had a coffee and cake. Husband sat quietly whilst I nervously went on and on about what I thought they might be doing. So take someone with you otherwise everyone around you will think you are mad talking to yourself. It is inevitable that most parents on here who are so involved in their children's education will be nervous/anxious. It is natural. We had two to worry about - will one be okay? Will the other be alright? Will they be doing the exam in the same room etc? We need not have been so anxious - they were well looked after and more importantly, well prepared. Once it is all over, you can enjoy your time with your children again because the next important date is results date and the time immediately leading up to results is worse than exam day, especially when waiting for results for two.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I went to work and had a 'normal' day.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I am planing on making my way home and trying to distract myself but it would depend on the distance from the school,if it was further away I'm most likey to wait in the surrounding area and try to read.
;D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now