What are CAT tests?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

amber3

What are CAT tests?

Post by amber3 »

Hi,
I have jsut found out that my DS will have to do CAT tests in the first week of year 7. We've been through the 11 plus, and more recently SATS, now more tests. What are these tests, what do they involve? I believe it is to stream them for maths, am I right? Should we be swatting for them? I thought CAT tests were done at comprehensives as the children will not have been through the 11 plus.
Please advise, anyone?
Thanks,
Amber
Etienne

Re: What are CAT tests?

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CATs are not limited to comprehensives, but yes, when used in year 7, they are usually for setting or streaming purposes.

Preparation is not expected.
Etienne
Growingtofast

Post by Growingtofast »

My ds is going to be in a similar position, so I will be watching this thread with interest.

To be honest he passed the 11+ got high 5's in his Sats so I'm happy for him to enjoy the holidays before all the hard work begins, so I'm not too worried.
PianoPiano

Post by PianoPiano »

My DS sat CATS in yr 7 - as far as I know he'd never sat them at his primary. There's no need to swat for them - they are aimed more at finding out potential than previous learning or coaching as far as I can tell.

TBH I don't know what DS got for his yr 7 CATS - his school doesn't set in any subjects until yr 8 when they set in maths and they've got a whole year of learning under their belt. He's doing fine so I wouldn't worry about CATS at all.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Try this:

http://www.nationalstrategiescpd.org.uk ... erview.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Now I'm winding myself up about CATs. WE got through the 11+, and SATS, and now CATs. Why can't the teachers just monitor their pupils and set after a year's worth of work, rather than a few exams taken early in the year, when the children are just settling in. Should I be preparing my DS for them? And if so, how? Help... :(
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Please dont worry about the CATS they are more for the school to find out what your child could acheive. I know at my dd;s school they are used to see if someone is not pulling there weight in a subject and to set targets. If a child scored very high in quantative reasoning and was not acheiving in classroom maths the school would look into why this is. My dd is not great at maths and this reflected in her quantative resaoning CATS at the beginning of yr 7. Her target was set accordingly. However she did well in Non-verbal and verbal reasoning, her targets in Science and English were set higher than her Maths one and she has acheived well in both these subjects. A friend of hers scored high in all the tests but does not do well in class, the school are obviously looking into this.
PianoPiano

Post by PianoPiano »

pheasantchick, don't worry about CATS. They really are just to help set targets. As I said earlier on I don't know what my DS got for his CATS in the 2nd week of term and we did no prep - his school set targets according to SATS and CATS and then we got constant feedback during the year. I would say that in a grammar school the setting isn't quite so vital as in a comprehensive as there will be many, many children within a similar range. Schools should also reassess throughout the year and re-set as necessary.

FWIW my DS probably didn't do so well at his CATS as he has surpassed most of his targets. A lot can happen in the first year at secondary and CATS are a very small part of it.
amber3

Post by amber3 »

Thanks for all the comments and mystery's post in particular. It's reassuring to know about how the test is organised so it's not completely an unknown quantity. I don't think we'll be doing any work towards these.

Thanks again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now