how many correct questions means a pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

adamjames2

how many correct questions means a pass

Post by adamjames2 »

Hi
My son like many others is due to sit the test in September,does anyone know in basic terms how many questions answered correctly constitutes a pass..for example if there are 50 math questions and he answered 35 correctly is that a pass...his stats put him in a 5c for reading and maths and a 4 c in writing..on average, using test papers he does well, today he answered 39 out of 42 on a nvr..(i let him answer how many he wants untill the boredom sets in)...today also ,I insisted he did a whole maths exam and he scored 33 out of 50 which to him is the end of the world....just hoping if i can explain to him in more basic terms,such as "you need 30 out of 50 etc...to pass..then he might worry less
scarlett

Re: how many correct questions means a pass

Post by scarlett »

It's a bit confusing because the scores are standardised...which you will find information about on here if you put it into the search box .The pass marks are put in after the children have sat the papers and also according to their date of birth so there isn't a set pass mark as such.It all depends how clever the other children are !

I did get hold of my sons raw scores which are the marks he got out of 50 or however many questions there are although not the scores we were given on results day ( see what I mean about confusing !) and there is a thread on the Kent section titled Raw Scores where we discussed last year what our children needed to pass.

It might give you some clues. Your son's scores in the NVR sound good though and even the maths is 66 % which is probably fine too . :D
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

adamjames2 wrote:for example if there are 50 math questions and he answered 35 correctly is that a pass...
He still need to pass ALL three papers ie VR, NVR and Maths.

Roughly your son needs to score around 55% in each paper to get the overall pass.
Impossible is Nothing.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

scarlett wrote:It's a bit confusing because the scores are standardised...which you will find information about on here if you put it into the search box .The pass marks are put in after the children have sat the papers and also according to their date of birth so there isn't a set pass mark as such.It all depends how clever the other children are !
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think confidence now would be key-you still have a few days to work on the maths but if a paper is hard, the passmark will be lower and most likely the other children will have found the same thing. Not doing well in one particular area can still put them in with a good chance, many children may stumble in one area but high marks in another can pull up their rankings.
;D
adamjames2

Post by adamjames2 »

sherry_d wrote:
adamjames2 wrote:for example if there are 50 math questions and he answered 35 correctly is that a pass...
He still need to pass ALL three papers ie VR, NVR and Maths.

Roughly your son needs to score around 55% in each paper to get the overall pass.
well if we are looking at 55% for all papers then I believe he is more than capable..you just don't know how it goes on the day though do you??..will be glad when its all over...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now