NVR - standard or multiple choice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
curlyching

NVR - standard or multiple choice?

Post by curlyching »

Sorry if this is a daft question, but can I just confirm that the NVR is of standard format and not with a multiple choice answer sheet for Latymer. I have written this down with all my 11+ info, but now can't find where I got that idea from!! I have searched on here, but not found it.

My DS did a mock (not the Sutton one) last weekend and the answer sheet threw him (even though I had explained they may use one). He kept on writing on the q sheet and then having to rub it out. I just want to make sure I am totally sure of what I should be telling him for the real thing - standard and you can cross things out etc on the paper. Also, I just wanted to check that the Qs are done in small sections before moving on, like the Athey and GL ones.

His scores in English and Maths were good, but his NVR score (normally his strength) was not great, which he told me it wouldn't be as soon as he did it, as he didn't get to some sections as he spent too much time rubbing out!

Thanks in advance for your help.
lemondrop

Re: NVR - standard or multiple choice?

Post by lemondrop »

As far as I am aware the Latymer NVR is multiple choice not standard. For NVR they do the questions in blocks, where you finish one section before you go on to the next. You can't go back to check previous sections.

Did you do the unmentionable mock on 31st July? My DD got a really low score (48%) :shock: on her NVR which staggered me as she gets around 85-95% when doing timed papers at home on NVR even the GLA ones. She did finish the paper on time too. I am hoping she put the answers against the wrong question numbers on the answer sheet. If she didn't, I'm ready to give up! She scored really well on the VR which is usually her weaker subject. She didn't do the Eng or Maths.

HTH
curlyching

Post by curlyching »

Now thoroughly confused! Why have I written down 'standard format' next to NVR on my list at home? Will need to apologise to my DS, as I'd practiced with standard format. Could someone who sat last year for Latymer confirm?

Yes Lemondrop, we did the unmentionable mock and DS got 62% on NVR but 76 and 80% on maths and english. He found the NVR format really confusing.

The 'mock experience' was a really positive one though. He didn't get stressed out and made a friend sitting at his table, so all in all a good idea.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

I'm sure I asked the question last year and was told it was MC not standard.

Just tried looking on their website, which is totally unhelpful.

If I hear anything useful I'll let you know.
curlyching

Post by curlyching »

Thanks Lemondrop, and to anyone else who posts.

I am away on holiday in a few hours, so won't be able to check in again until the end of the month. (Didn't want anyone to think I was rude if I didn't respond for a while!)
worrier

Post by worrier »

Hi Curlyching,
My DD took the Latymer test last year and it is definitely standard - ie, you choose four options, but you write your answer on the same sheet, not on a separate sheet. It is also divided into sections, so you have 5 mins, 4mins, 6mins [whatever it is] to do the sep sections and then the invigilator tells you to stop. Not sure if you can go back to any you have missed out but don't think so.

I can ask her which schools were sep sheets for m/c and which standard [for any other schools you are trying for, as can't remember exactly] as we tried for quite a few: HBS, Latymer, DAO, St Michael's and Mill Hill County and we found out she got through all of them [so we went for our 1st choice - HBS].

Seem to remember that Mill Hill County and St Michael's were m/c sep sheet, while Latymer and DAO were standard -though DAO doesn't do NVR - [you write the answer on the sheet]. Can't remember for HBS {!} but will ask her and let you know. Will also ask my son for QEB.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Ooh, thanks Worrier. My DD is doing Latymer and HBS. She's tried both sorts so hopefully she'll cope with the different types of answer sheet.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Just realised it was my memory playing tricks, I was told that HBS had MC papers, no-one told me anything about Latymer, so I just made an assumption.
worrier

Post by worrier »

Hi Lemondrop,
Good luck with your papers! DD definitely confirmed that HBS is m/c [with sep sheet] while Latymer is standard. For both schools, though, the second round is set by the school and not m/c [whereas Mill Hill County and St Michael's is m/c throughout - tho St M also has free writing in English].

Advice I would give for HBS, is for English, dowload the St Albans and North London Collegiate papers [St Albans is good for practice on the English [their Maths is too easy] and NLC for Maths. JMC is also good for Maths practice]. Of all the papers she took, HBS was def the hardest, tho because of the practice we did for the English, she coped really well with that [actually found it easy]. Found the maths really hard, but still got thru even tho we believed she hadn't. Couldn't believe the result on Offer day [still can't quite believe it now, even though we've been to induction day and met parents and girls in her class and bought the uniform!], so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hoping it all goes well for you and everyone out there. It's going to be a really tough year, and you will need to be strong.
curlyching

Post by curlyching »

Worrier, thank you so much for your replies. I have returned from my holiday feeling much more chilled about the whole thing!

Can take a deep breath before plunging into practice papers in the knowledge that I have the right info.

Ta again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now