School priority list help please

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muksoni

School priority list help please

Post by muksoni »

My DS is preparing in general for 11 plus for 2012 entry. We are in a situation where we will move to area where my DS gets admission. Considering this in mind, can someone help me prioritise various schools. We have option to fill 6 options (Bucks County currently). If I go by BBC school league table below (English Baccalaureate results)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12168236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I get following preference

1. St Olaves (no catchment)
2. QE Barnet (no catchment)
3. Dr. Challoner's (falls in our catchment area)
4. Wilson (no catchment area)
5. Wallington (No catchment)
6. Tiffin ?

Anyone done such an analysis??

regards
hermanmunster

Re: School priority list help please

Post by hermanmunster »

English Bacc not the best way to chose a school! Last year the Bacc was brought in AFTER kids chose their GCSEs so could not opt to get the Bacc. many kids with v academic GCSEs - latin Greek german RS treble science 2 english 2 maths etc couldn't get the Bacc.

You need to visit the schools to decide and then remember to put a non selective for the area you live in on the list too.
muksoni

Post by muksoni »

hermanmunster wrote:English Bacc not the best way to chose a school! Last year the Bacc was brought in AFTER kids chose their GCSEs so could not opt to get the Bacc. many kids with v academic GCSEs - latin Greek german RS treble science 2 english 2 maths etc couldn't get the Bacc.

You need to visit the schools to decide and then remember to put a non selective for the area you live in on the list too.

We surely want to put local school as one last preference. But, in general, do anyone have list of Grammar Schools in London/Greater London area which do not have catchment area? Also, what criteria should one consider to shortlist them?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Read the admissions policy for Judd and Skinners in West Kent - I think different scores are required each year for in-Kent and out of Kent pupils but sometimes out of Kent pupils need a lower score. You need to read the latest policy though as these things change.

Mmmm about the criteria for your prioritisation ........ that's so tricky as many factors will be personal to your family and your son. I guess you can be fairly sure that at all the ones without catchment areas the standard will in some way be high so I would put at the top of the list the ones in areas that you want to live in ultimately.

Might have problem with clashing exams?

In some areas you get the test result before you have to fill in the school form - so you would have some idea whether to put the school on your Common Application Form or not as you would already have the score in your hand.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Why would you not stick with Bucks? We have great schools here with many people from OOC clamouring to gain access? :) Last thing I would be doing is trekking all over the country - so many separate exams for your DC too!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do! :)
vasu

Post by vasu »

Our list is close to yours. We too will move after ds secures place in GS. QE boys is first on out list then are the Kent schools. For Kent tests, registration is over but you can apply for St Olaves. I stay in harrow hence the desperation for no catchment GS. All the schools on your list are Super Selectives and hence immense competion. I do not want to put you off :D . I am going through extreme anxiety too. 3 more months and this too shall pass.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
muksoni

Post by muksoni »

mystery wrote: In some areas you get the test result before you have to fill in the school form - so you would have some idea whether to put the school on your Common Application Form or not as you would already have the score in your hand.
I know Wilson and Wallington doing this. Are there any other good school in this category?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes certainly Judd and Skinners in Kent, as the Kent 11+ is taken in September of year 6, results come out a few weeks later and the CAF is filled in a couple of weeks after that. You have to make sure you get the score, not just pass fail result, as you can then use this to guess whether you are likely to get into Skinners or Judd. You will need to have studied past years of out of county scores. And you will need to have registered for the Kent 11+ (too late now I would guess if your child is about to start year 6). Skinners is easier to get into than Judd score-wise, but both still require high scores. Not to be confused with Skinners Academy - fill your form in carefully!!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

The only person who can actually prioritise schools is you and your family. Each child and family have their own critieria as to what they are looking for in a school . ie. academic, pastoral care, outside activities, school's reputation etc

Theres an excellant thread here listing quesitons etc for looking around schools.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... f=5&t=7611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It may help in focussing your mind as to what you want in a school.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Assuming you think Challoners' would suit your child (otherwise you wouldn't be putting it down), and assuming you are close enough to be sure of getting in, most people in your position would put only 3 schools on their CAF: 1st choice grammar, 2nd choice grammar in case you aren't quite close enough and a non selective. Unless you are desparate to move. As others have said, only you can know what is best for your family, but many would consider you very lucky to be in catchment for Challoners' - a fantastic school in an area where 30% (ish) should pass the 11 plus..
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now