scores

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum of five

scores

Post by mum of five »

hi i am currently doing the learning lab papers with my dd, she is getting around 65 out of 80 on each of them so far but is not managing to grt higher than that. she seems to finish in good time with 5 mins to check answers aswell. How can i help her to score higher ..not sure if shes doing ok for a june child :wink:
no_ball

Re: scores

Post by no_ball »

Are the 15 mistakes similar type areas every time she takes a paper? What type are the incorrect answered questions? Start from there and check resources for extra training, plenty available
mum of five

Post by mum of five »

no_ball wrote:Are the 15 mistakes similar type areas every time she takes a paper? What type are the incorrect answered questions? Start from there and check resources for extra training, plenty available
the mistakes are usally vocab, she does alot of reading as she loves that ,i do listen to her read and try to help with it aswell,is there anything else i could be doing? thanks for your help :)
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I started a note book and made DS add all the words he did not know the meaning off. We also practiced vocal on long car journeys, you can find loads of 11+ type vocal from the net. The key is to practice. Also make a list of the words she gets wrong from the past papers and revise those as well.

If it any comfort my DS loaths reading, has not finished one book this year and still got through this wrethched process.

Good luck, sorry can't be of more help
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear mum of five

The score is depend on which area/school your child is applying for.

With regard to vocabulary, take a look at the following links...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=18206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/free-1 ... ice-papers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.freerice.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

I too have a son who hates reading so his lack of vocab sometimes loses him a few points. However, since finding the free rice website, it has made a difference. The added bonus of this site is that he almost finds it quite 'fun' and he doesn't see it as 11+ practice which he is loathe to do at the moment! Good luck.
mum of five

Post by mum of five »

sorry it took me so long to reply back been a little busy with hte holidays,thanks for all the lovely advice.Free rice is a superb website for vocab we are all addicted to it now :D
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Just type in 11+ vocal in any search engine and there are loads of resources out there. I just gave away some I had from last year to a parent whose som is doing exam this year for kech.
um

Post by um »

lol I just typed that into a search engine and all I got was Year 11 vocal ensembles and singing tutors :lol:
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Sorry, meant vocabulary, phone seems to suggest better words than that typed ...