Gum shields, are they meant to be massive?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Doblinski

Gum shields, are they meant to be massive?

Post by Doblinski »

I bought the offered gum-shield from the school shop for hockey and they've supplied one that appears to fit on the top set of teeth (?) and are huge, they fill-up DCs mouth to the point of choking and are far longer than the teeth; as a total novice I have no idea what's what.

A friend mentioned putting them into boiling water to shrink to a better fit, is this right or have the school possibly sold us a senior set or something? Please enlighten - thank you.
andyb

Re: Gum shields, are they meant to be massive?

Post by andyb »

What brand have you bought and does it come with fitting instructions? DS1 uses Opro "Silver" gum shields. It does look quite large when you take it out of the container but once you have softened it in boiling water and molded it to the teeth it fits well and is reasonably comfortable although he can barely close his mouth :lol: . And, yes, the gum shield goes on the upper set of teeth. If the gum shield is too big front to back (i.e. the arms of the "U" are too long) then either get a smaller size - most come in child, junior and adult, or you can trim it with scissors but make sure you don't leave a sharp edge or it will cut the mouth.
tco

Post by tco »

Hi Doblinksi

Our son needed one for his new school this year and the first one we bought was too large. We got a junior one from Sports Direct and that fits fine.
darell

Post by darell »

The limitation of the home-made gumshields is that they have a limited range of sizes, unlike real jaws which vary in length, width and slope-I have just checked the Opro website and they appear to have only two.

So you may be lucky and can get the size bought to fit, if the jaw size and shape are within that tolerance, or you may not.....which is why some work and some don't. From what you have described, my guess is that the shield was not seated up firmly enough, hence feels long. This can be for a variety of reasons, too long to bore you with here, but a dentist will sometimes have to try in a number of impression trays before deciding on the correct one to use. If it doesn't fit, the gumshield won't protect the teeth and may even fall out when in use.

A custom made gumshield from a dentist will offer the best protection for your DS's mouth-you can even ask to have space made for wobbly teeth or ones that are coming through so that it will last as long as possible, but you will undoubtedly have to redo it each year. Money well spent (and do get the name added).

I've been meaning to have a go at one of these for ages-this might just spur me on.
um

Post by um »

Orpro sell fitted (bespoke!) gumsheilds - they come to my son's school at the beginning of term to measure up the boys. First, you have to register online.

I got a leaflet reminding me to do this - and last year's no longer fits so he does need a new one.
It is more expensive, but the far better fit means a lot to a child who is trying to get the hang of rugby anyway, and, more importantly, protects the teeth much better from possible breakage.

However my son is to be fitted with braces imminently so I am also very unsure what to do myself this year :? .
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I wouldn't worry too much....we have only ever bought the 'mould to your teeth' stuff from sports world or other high street sports shops where you use boiling water....and none of my children have suffered too much. Did they fit? I have absolutely no idea, but my most fanatical sportsman who had braces and everything still has the most beautiful teeth and he's 20 and has participated most exuberantly in every sport he could.
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

I don't think the shield's branded, the box is clear with no logos. It's a black and white shield (?), and it's hard not to laugh as DC stands mouth forced open and mildly gagging when it's in. I think we'll just go for a smaller sports shop one for now as there's not an ortho one available via the school, I'll ask about one at the dentist, but our practise is pretty basic.

Silly Q but re the boiling water trick, do you put the shield in while it's still warm from being shrunk in the boiling water - does it stay shrunk afterwards? Thanks again for the useful posts.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Doblinski wrote:Silly Q but re the boiling water trick, do you put the shield in while it's still warm from being shrunk in the boiling water - does it stay shrunk afterwards? Thanks again for the useful posts.
For the Opro gum shields we let it cool slightly (enough to pick up comfortably), put it in his mouth and get him to bite down for about 30 seconds (be prepared for a certain amount of dribbling!). It will then hold this shape once it has cooled. I'm not sure about actually shrinking but because it moulds itself to his mouth/teeth it appears smaller.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The first year DD had a custom made one. It fitted for about half a term as her teeth were moving around and cost us about £35 I think. You can't re-mould them, so a complete waste of money.
However my son is to be fitted with braces imminently so I am also very unsure what to do myself this year

If you are buying one from a sports shop and DC has braces, just check, some say thay are suitable for braces, some say they are not.

That reminds me, check all DCs have mouth guards before next week...
scary mum
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

um wrote:Orpro sell fitted (bespoke!) gumsheilds - they come to my son's school at the beginning of term to measure up the boys. First, you have to register online.

I got a leaflet reminding me to do this - and last year's no longer fits so he does need a new one.
It is more expensive, but the far better fit means a lot to a child who is trying to get the hang of rugby anyway, and, more importantly, protects the teeth much better from possible breakage.

However my son is to be fitted with braces imminently so I am also very unsure what to do myself this year :? .
I just looked at these - they look great but are more expensive than fitted ones we've had in the past.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now