Ridiculous and Shocking Price Increases

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Ridiculous and Shocking Price Increases

Post by Snowdrops »

So, we all know how things have been this last couple of years. Prices going through the roof on things and cutbacks all round where you can.

Has there been any instance where you've thought, blummin' heck, that's steep compared to what it used to be?

I have two.

First it's tinned/chopped tomatoes. You could pick these up for 15p a can at one time. Now they cost 85p!!!!!

Another, equally shocking, price increase for me today: I went to renew dd's bus pass for school (we live outside catchment so don't qualify for county council paying it :cry: ). Last year I paid £350 for the year. Today it cost me £500 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :cry:
Marylou

Re: Ridiculous and Shocking Price Increases

Post by Marylou »

University tuition fees? (Sorry - had to get that one in! :roll: )
Marylou
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

PS - more the sort of thing you were thinking about, Snowdrops - we've often thought the same thing and consequently are no strangers to the "value" items from the "every little helps" store. The challenge of what you can do with an 8p can of curry sauce is an interesting one! :lol: Though that's probably also gone up as well.

I know what you mean though - there was a report yesterday about school meals going up by 25%. :(
Marylou
sp

Post by sp »

Was having the tinned tomato conversation with a friend a couple of days age; we decided to stop as we sounded like our Grannies going on about the olden days.
I buy the Basics range for tomatoes/kidney beans etc when making a chilli etc as you really can't tell the difference. Usually pick up the more expensive tomatoes when on offer and use them when having visitors!! Maybe a bit juicier but not sure the difference justifies the price.
Bread is the obvious thing that's shot up in price; it used to be the quickest and cheapest way to fill up DS but, especially in the holidays, it has recently cost a fortune!! I often stock up on the Basics part bake half baguettes in Sai******s and we all know delicious hot bread is. They are a bargain.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Even the basics stuff is going up - soap used to be 13p now it's 45p % wise that is a very steep hike.

I never forget the time my mothers car was in the garage for a few weeks following a prang and she was convinced afterwards that the accident had somehow affected her petrol tank because afterwards it was more expensive to fill!! She's normally very on the ball but that was definitely a very blonde/senior moment. :lol: :lol: But it is a very good indication of the petrol increase :twisted:
doodles

Post by doodles »

I like to have butter and the basics/value range butter in either of the two bid s'markets has gone up to £1.21 and I seem to remember that no so long ago it was well well under a £1.

My food bill is frightening even though I would consider myself to be a careful shopper and don't even get me started on fuel costs!
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

My daughters secondary school fees :o
sp wrote:Was having the tinned tomato conversation with a friend a couple of days age; we decided to stop as we sounded like our Grannies going on about the olden days.
I buy the Basics range for tomatoes/kidney beans etc when making a chilli etc as you really can't tell the difference. Usually pick up the more expensive tomatoes when on offer and use them when having visitors!! Maybe a bit juicier but not sure the difference justifies the price.
We don't tend to buy tomatoes from supermarkets as they are usually much cheaper from those asian stores in Southall and is currently 29 pence for a pound.
;D
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I was in Woolies 4 and a half decades ago and I found a 10/- note (brown ... remember them?), parents reported the find to the shop and I ultimately I got to keep it ... felt very wealthy!!! :lol: