Old Swinford Hospital School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Spirit

Old Swinford Hospital School

Post by Spirit »

Does anyone know how it may be best to prepare for this schools exam? I have read all the posts already on here about it. Is it def CEM? If a general intelligence test, is this NVR rather than VR? General or specific info gratefully received.
mike1880

Re: Old Swinford Hospital School

Post by mike1880 »

Our son did the scholarship exam about 3 years ago, you can probably find the posts - they're not very informative though, I'm afraid. The online was CEM I believe, the "general intelligence" test included a fairly stiff general knowledge element such as current events from some weeks previously (if that's not an oxymoron) - reading newspapers would probably be the best prep for that - and a bit of "popular culture". I can't remember for sure whether there was any "formal" element in the sense of VR or whatever but I don't think there was.

If you're well prepared for GS and prepping for indies then I think you'd have covered it. Are you going for a day place or boarding?

Mike
um

Post by um »

Worth noting that OWH admit on 'suitability to board' not on academic selection.

The only exception being, of course, those trying for a scholarship.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

IIRC the 25% or so Y7 places available to "day boarders" (or whatever the term is) are selective.

Mike
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

It is not for me personally but son of a good friend. He has always wanted to board and been set on OSH. We both know boys who have thrived there ( and a couple that it didn't suit, but I am sure this is the same for all schools) and he seems to know a lot about how the school works and what the score is IYSWIM. Sadly, due to the economic climate, may not be able to go there to board unless he gets a scholarship. He is being prepared by his school for CEE at 13.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Prep would probably be the same as for any CEM test, I would guess that being online means fairly quick standalone questions. There's a short demo on the CEM site that gives a flavour of the online GETINTU test (which is what I imagine OSH are using, or something very like it), you've probably already found that.

As far as I remember there is the possibility of financial assistance in cases of need (presumably operates similarly to bursaries generally) but I think you'd have to contact the school to get details.

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now