Applying for Independent School Scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tailsmo

Applying for Independent School Scholarship

Post by Tailsmo »

Hi Everyone!

I'm after some advice. I have applied to an independent school (Lord Wandsworth College) for a foundation place (a means tested scholarship) for my daughter. I went to a state school, and the independent sector is a bit of a mystery to me!

1. Does anyone have any experience of applying for a foundation place at this school who could give me some advice?

2. I can't get a copy of past papers, as the school doesn't issue them, but I know they will test in English, Maths, VBR and NVBR. My daughter took mock SATS this May (in year 5) and achieved a 4a in English and 4c in maths. Her teacher predicts a level 5 in English and a good level 4 in Maths in Y6 SATS (next May). I'm tutoring her at home myself, using Bond books. The pass mark for the school entrance tests is 50% in English and Maths and 105 minimum in NVBR and VBR. Is she likely to achieve these scores based on her SATS results?

3. The school is going to conduct a home visit this month in advance of entrance exams in December. Any idea what the home visit will be looking for?

Any advice anyone can give would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
Warks mum

Re: Applying for Indepdent School Scholarship

Post by Warks mum »

It's a very long post, but a couple of years ago we were all willing Nathair's DD through a means tested process that included a home visit.

You can follow the whole story from beginning to end here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 31&t=12312" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to say - the post about the home visit is on page 15!
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Thanks so much - what a journey!!
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

Whilst I don't know the current details (presumably on the website or similarly supplied to prospective pupils/families) many years ago I knew the then head and visited the school. Lord Wandsworth is one of the relatively small number of independent schools that has always been 'charitable' in the generally understood meaning as opposed to the legal status of independent schools. It has a large foundation and was originally intended to educate orphans (forget the details possibly after WW1 for families living on the estate). However, given the modern shortage of orphans eligibility criteria have been expanded. When I visited these were mostly children of single parent families expected to benefit from a boarding education. I therefore suspect that a home visit would, at least in part, be intended to ascertain this need.
(The ex-head that I knew, in retirement carried out these visits for another chairty that provided fees for children that would benefit from independent education.)
P's Mum
P's mum
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Thanks P's mum. The visit happened, it was all fine, very relaxed, although I was aware that I was blabbering a lot of the time :oops: . I've now got to wait to see if we've passed the initial evaluation of the Trustees in November before my DD is asked to sit the entrance test in December. The lady emphasised that they do give priority to bereaved children, which is the category under which we have applied, so I'm now on a wait for the next news in November... Fingers crossed...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My fingers are *crossed* for you too Tailsmo :D

Good luck!
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Thanks Snowdrops, it's sucha waiting game, isn't it!
sp

Post by sp »

Good luck with this; keep us posted, we're all rooting for you! Seems a long time til November but let's hope it's worth the wait.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Thanks SP, really appreciate the support :D .

We'll be attending the open morning at LWC on 24th September. I'm prepared with the list of questions to ask from a previous post on this site - it's such a useful forum for so many things!

In the same week we're also going to the open evenings at the local comprehensives to which we will also apply, need to sort out what preference we're going to go with. The catchment school, Ofsted rated grade 3, but transport provided (we're in a rural area) and where most of her friends will go, and a school 3 miles further away, Ofsted rated grade 2, but out of catchment and only public transport available (2 buses). The out of catchment school is always undersubscribed because there is are 2 grade 1 schools in the same area which are always over-subscribed, so if we put it as 1st preference, we will be offered a place there. Decisions, decisions...

I'm hoping DD will really appreciate the difference between the comps and LWC and understand why I'm asking her to do Bond revision papers in preparation for the entrance test!
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

We went to the open morning last Saturday, and DD loved Lord Wandsworth College (yey!!). We also went to the preferred grade 2 state comprehensive last Thursday evening, and not only did DD love it, I did too. It has a sports and dance focus (DD's every waking non-school moment is spent doing sports and dance), and it seems such a lively, wonderful place.

I have begun to really worry now about getting a place at LWC, which will mean DD being a weekly border, and just keeping her at home with me and sending her to the state comp. Is this normal anxiety about separation from my only child, and me being selfish since the death of my husband will mean me being alone all week??

Going round and round it in my head and feeling like I will explode, or burst into tears at any given moment. :cry: