Question re waiting lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jeepers

Question re waiting lists

Post by Jeepers »

Would anyone be able to explain to me the rules about waiting lists in Bucks please? We are OOC and DC is also sitting for Slough consortium. Following the “dream, realistic, banker” advice I read on another thread in the Herts forum, we would only be able to put one or two Bucks schools on our form, but of course we would not be guaranteed a place in them and, if dc got a qualifying score in Bucks but not in Slough, there are other Bucks schools which we could travel to that we would prefer to the local community “banker” school.

I had heard that you couldn’t go on a waiting list for a Bucks school if you had been allocated a place in one of your preference schools (even though it is non-selective). Is this true?

I also heard that you couldn’t go on a waiting list for a Bucks school that isn’t on the CAF if you had been allocated a CAF place in a Bucks school (unless you’d moved house in between). So, for example, last year dc wouldn’t have been able to go on the waiting list for Dr Challoner’s if I had been offered a place at Burnham, even though it came out much further than anyone expected.
Also, if you go on a waiting list for a school not on the CAF, do you still keep your place in the queue for other CAF schools?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

J

ps. I am very jealous of areas that know their scores before they put the CAF in.
scary mum

Re: Question re waiting lists

Post by scary mum »

As far as I know you can go on the waiting list for any school you like, regardless of what you put down originally - assuming passing the 11 plus, of course. I think if you go on the waiting list and are offered a place you automatically lose the original place, in other words, you don't get the opportunity to say yes or no, but I could be wrong about that - the mods will know about all this stuff!
scary mum
Etienne

Re: Question re waiting lists

Post by Etienne »

I had heard that you couldn’t go on a waiting list for a Bucks school if you had been allocated a place in one of your preference schools (even though it is non-selective). Is this true?
Not as far as I know!
I also heard that you couldn’t go on a waiting list for a Bucks school that isn’t on the CAF if you had been allocated a CAF place in a Bucks school
I think Bucks will allow parents to go on the waiting list for schools not on their original list, and that this becomes a new preference list which will be considered in subsequent allocation rounds.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now