percentage pass mark Southend?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chazz

percentage pass mark Southend?

Post by chazz »

My son is sitting 11plus in November, we are looking at either SHSB or WHSB. Does anyone know an idea of what pass mark he would need to get a place at one of these schools. We live outside the Southend area. Also as we are outside the borough of Southend would we have more chance of getting into one of these schools than the other as I'm not clear on what their admission criteria is. Thank you for any advice.
Fran17

Re: PERCENTAGE PASS MARK SOUTHEND ?

Post by Fran17 »

If you go on WHSB website I think there is information on how many boys they take from out of borough. When we were looking at schools, WHSB were obliged to take 47 from out of borough and SHSB were obliged to take 25. I have two sons from out of borough going to SHSB. In previous years the majority of in borough boys seem to put SHSB first on their list of preferences so they have tended to fill the majority of places on offer to them i.e. 125 out of the 150 places in each year group. Because less local boys seem to put WHSB first, they are able to offer many more places to out of borough children. A friend of mine has a son at WHSB and she told me last year WHSB offered just over 100 places to out of borough boys. I think you can find this information on the website. If you ring the schools I am sure they will be very happy to help you and you will certainly be able to speak to members of staff at the open evenings. If you look on the Essex section on this forum, there are details of marks etc. and if you repost on this section 'Moved' the mod on there is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. It would be wise to double check this information as both schools are now academies and I am not sure whether their admission criteria has changed. They are both excellent schools. Good luck with making your decision.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Based on last years scores, a percentage over 68% for the combined papers (VR double weighted), would have secured a place at WHSB (out of catchment).
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

SHSB out of catchment, last year required a slightly lower mark. 65% would secure a place. Hope that helps!
Manana

Post by Manana »

Sorry to butt in here, but do you happen to know what the score required for SHSB was last year for boys that are in catchment?
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

A standardised score of 303 is required for in catchment. The nearest score I could find on the forum is 311 which % was 56% across the three papers in 2010. Hope this helps.
chazz

Re: percentage pass mark Southend?

Post by chazz »

Thank you for all the information, from what I could gather WHSB would probably take more from outside the catchment, think I'll wait until after the open evenings and make a decision then. It will just be up to the little man then to do what he can on 19th November!
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Hi everyone.......see moved sticky above "approximate scores required"

65% for out of area will almost certainly guarantee a place

"Wait until after the open evenings" that's the best way to approach it chazz :)
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Hi Chazz
The best thing you can do is put the schools in the order that you like them best and don't worry about which one you are more likely to get into. Don't forget that if you don't get into your first choice, then your second choice automatically becomes your first choice anyway (does that make sense?!)