League Table Query- Average GCSE Point Score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mm23292

League Table Query- Average GCSE Point Score

Post by mm23292 »

Perhaps the answer would be obvious if I were to delve a little further, but I figured somebody on here would know for sure! We were glancing through a Bucks league table for secondary schools at the weekend, and I noticed that the GCSE average point score had some strange 'anomalies' between schools which would otherwise compare less favourably. For instance, one large local comprehensive scored 495, with the note (uncapped), which was almost as high as the very good local GS, and higher than a lot of the independant schools. On the other hand, the 5 GCSE's A to C percentage measure was much lower. I would have presumed that the GCSE average point score, is simply the total of all GCSE grades awarded based on respective points per grade, divided by number of pupils..which makes 495 seem pretty high..but I must be wrong. Is there something else that contributes to this score, and what does the term 'uncapped' signify?
nigs

Re: League Table Query- Average GCSE Point Score

Post by nigs »

mm23292

I have often wondered about this myself. How some "good/okay" schools can have much higher average point scores than "excellent" schools. Is it time then to look at their results per subject? I am not sure what "uncapped" means though.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I believe capped relates to the 8 best GCSE results and uncapped to all the GCSE's taken. So you can't really compare one school uncapped score with a different schools capped score.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I think also some schools do courses which may count for several GCSEs (an IT course seems to spring to mind) and which may skew the figures when compared with Physics, Chemistry, Latin etc etc