CRGS GCSE options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

CRGS GCSE options

Post by Minesatea »

DS thinks the following subjects are compulsory - Maths, Statistics, English Lit, English Lang, French and one of the 2 IT subjects. If he then takes triple science we already get to 9 subjects. Can anyone tell me how many (if any) other subjects he gets to chose?
crgsmum

Re: CRGS GCSE options

Post by crgsmum »

It's all on the crgs website as follows:

In Years 10 and 11 all students take GCSE courses in 10 subjects. All take English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, French and either Biology, Chemistry and Physics or a single award course in Additional Science. Able mathematicians may be able to take Statistics GCSE. In addition, students choose from three to five optional subjects from those taken in Year 9. All study for a GCSE in either ICT or Technology. There are further compulsory courses in PE, Games, Personal Development and RE, in addition to the tutorial programme.

Good luck
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks crgsmum - but the website has said that ever since he started and he seems to think things changed last year when they moved to the iGCSE's in some subjects. He thinks the choice is now ICT or computing so we are not sure where the technology fits.

Also if you count up the website list it comes to 12 GCSE's when it states they take 10!

If there is a year 10 parent that can enlighten me I would be grateful as he has been told he must starting thinking about his choices but this is difficult when you are not sure of the options!
TTR

Post by TTR »

The best summary on the website is hidden in the background information for applicants to become the Senior ICT Technician (I wish I was making this up...)
In Years 10 and 11, all students take IGCSE courses in English and English Literature and GCSEs in Mathematics and French. Many students also study for GCSE Statistics. They also take either an IGCSE in Information and Communication Technology or a GCSE in Computing, and either IGCSEs in all three separate sciences or a single GCSE in Additional Science. Students, constrained only by the requirements of the National Curriculum, add to this a number of GCSEs from those subjects available in Years 7-9 and have a further compulsory syllabus consisting of Physical Education (including Games), Personal Development and RE. For the teaching of French and Mathematics, students are placed in one of four sets according to ability. There are carefully devised assessment and reporting systems. Extra-curricular opportunities exist to take GCSEs in Spanish, Physical Education, Astronomy or Geology, the latter two subjects in partnership with another local secondary school.
I think that there is a difference between subjects and (I)GCSEs. English is one subject, but two qualifications (Lit and Lang) and Maths (except the lowest set) is the same as it also includes Statistics. Therefore you have ten subjects with twelve qualifications.

The number of additional choices is 5 with Additional Science, or 3 with Biology, Chemistry and Physics. As a result the breakdown is as follows:
1. IGCSE English (Language)
2. IGCSE English Literature
3. GCSE Maths
4. GCSE Statistics (except bottom maths set)
5. GCSE French
6. GCSE Computing or IGCSE ICT
7-9. IGCSE Biology, IGCSE Chemistry & IGCSE Physics or GCSE Additional Science and two options from Year 9 subjects
10-12. Three options from Year 9 subjects
Plus any of the extra-curricular options (although I think that they like to limit the number of these, for obvious reasons).

The bit about Technology on the website dates from the old options list which included a choice between short course GCSE ICT (first year, with second year supervised free periods), 'full' GCSE ICT or short course GCSE D&T (if you wanted to do 'full' D&T you had to do it as an option, as you have to do now).

Incidentally, the other updated information about GCSE options is hidden in the 2010/11 prospectus at http://www.crgs.co.uk/the-school/prospectus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but this doesn't explain the choice between ICT and Computing.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks TTR.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now