appeal in bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
khanj010

appeal in bucks

Post by khanj010 »

hi i dont know much about appeals , my ds will be doing the test in a few weeks, but i just like to know that if ds dose not get a pass mark can we appeal on the basis of the school being in special measures according to ofsted. The school he attend has just got out of special measures . The school for the pass 2-3 years had been all over the place many perants were not happy with the teaching, but we could not move our children due to personal circumstances. ive spoke to the school head if ds is grammer material and he has said yes.
hermanmunster

Re: appeal in bucks

Post by hermanmunster »

khanj010 wrote:hi i dont know much about appeals , my ds will be doing the test in a few weeks, but i just like to know that if ds dose not get a pass mark can we appeal on the basis of the school being in special measures according to ofsted. The school he attend has just got out of special measures . The school for the pass 2-3 years had been all over the place many perants were not happy with the teaching, but we could not move our children due to personal circumstances. ive spoke to the school head if ds is grammer material and he has said yes.

The grounds for appeal are a) that the child has evidence to show that they normally would have achieved the exam pass mark but b) there were extenuating circumstances which led to them not achieving the score.

The usual things are the recent illness or other problems of the child or the serious recent illness or other problems of someone close to them. To prove that the event has had an effect on the 11 plus score the appeal panel would need to see that they were working at a high level prior to it and then did not achieve so well afterwards. A recent event occurring will not make up for the fact that were not doing so well before it...

Re the school - the test is not SATs based so is not supposed to be related to what has been done in school - local experts will no doubt be able to comment further. However I suspect that being at a school in special measures would not add as much to the appeal as the factors I outlined above which are more important - also the "school in special measures appeal" would apply to all the children at the school....

I think this has been discussed before - will have a hunt:

Etienne discussed it in this thread: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... l+measures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Re: appeal in bucks

Post by Etienne »

There is now an update in the Q&As.

It can be found here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne