DS is poorly.. :(

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

DS is poorly.. :(

Post by Marylou »

This was prompted by something I've just read on another thread by someone else panicking about the forthcoming tests! My DS has become ill with some kind of respiratory infection - at the weekend he was having trouble breathing and ended up in A&E attached to a nebuliser. He has never suffered from asthma and the GP has confirmed that it is probably not this, but isn't sure what it is (possibly a virus or reaction to an allergen, he does suffer from peanut allergy) and has prescribed an inhaler which seems to do the trick when DS suffers his frequent bouts of breathlessness. In between times he is fine, just tired from the recurring attacks. The trouble is that I keep having to fetch him from school and things are therefore very unsettled at the moment, so I've decided to keep him home for a few days to see if it settles down.

There has been some suggestion that DS's symptoms might be due at least in part to anxiety about the forthcoming tests. The fact is that he has been doing very well in the practices and should not have any trouble reaching the pass mark. However, even though there is still some time to go, I am worried that the stress of taking the exams in a strange place miles away combined with his volatile nature might just tip him over the edge and cause him to have an attack on the day. The question is, should I be contacting the Admissions department now to let them know that there might be a problem, as I have read that if you are taken ill on the day you can't return to the test? Wouldn't using an inhaler potentially distract other candidates? Also - should I be collecting medical evidence now at this stage, just in case we need to appeal? :(
Marylou
svg123

Re: DS is poorly.. :(

Post by svg123 »

Very sorry to hear about your DS. I hope he recovers well in time.
Someone more knowledgeable than me surely will help you out with your query. But I see no harm in calling them to discuss.
I also think that we just need to take these exams easily and not show the pressure to our DC.

Good luck.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Have nothing to offer other than a virtual hug to your DS. I sometimes wheeze at this time of year, but no other. Herman said the other day on another thread that people can be allergic to moulds and trees at this time of year, if I remember correctly. Could it be a new allergy? Has the GP given him a brown inhaler as well as a blue one to calm down any inflammation in his lungs? Herman, where are you..?
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry to hear you have this added worry, Marylou.

The appeals code says: "the panel should consider any factors which appellants contend may have affected the child’s performance (e.g. illness, bereavement); whether the family made the admission authority aware of these before they sat the test ..... [My underlining]"

If you were in Bucks, I think it would be sufficient that your primary school were aware of the situation, but because you're OoC, I think it would be a wise precaution to notify Admissions. I suggest an email, checking whether the use of an inhaler during the tests might disturb other candidates. This provides an opportunity for you to go on to explain the problem, and the fact that it might be stress related.

I don't see a need to collect any medical evidence just yet, as the GP will be keeping a record. Similarly, the primary school will have a record of any absences. However, it might be worth checking with the primary school whether they have a record of when you were asked to collect your son from school during any afternoon session for which he was marked 'present' (and, if so, for how long they retain it). If they don't keep a record, then you ought to get a letter from them to confirm what happened - while the dates are still reasonably fresh in their mind.
Etienne
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Your poor son ( and you ) ...hope he isn't feeling too worried/upset about it all ?

If you are worried about using his inhaler during the tests, can he not take it just before? I don't know how long your test is, but if it's just an hour then that might be enough to keep him going and might reassure him too.
mk123

Post by mk123 »

So sorry to hear your troubling news, Marylou. You have plenty of time for the infection to hopefully be well forgotten by the tests. I hope your DS recovers quickly and would not find the test itself too stressful. You have got enough on your hands with the good results so far. The rest, I am sure, will fall into place with the help of gentle reassurance and positiveness. Stay positive and good luck!
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Marylou - Sorry I have nothing useful to add but I just wanted to say I hope your son recovers soon.

These things always have fabulously bad timing. Will your DS be taking the test in half term as you are OOC ? Hopefully the extra time will in this case be a bonus.

Personally I think letting the admission department know early is a very sensible precaution.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Virtual hugs to you both :D :D

Hope he recovers quickly ...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I do hope this passes over quickly, Marylou. It does sound very worrying for you both.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I've just seen this, Marylou, and hope he is all recovered now, what a worry.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now