The Warks exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

The Warks exam

Post by um »

16 days to go until the Warwickshire exam and the forum seems a little dead :?

There has traditionally been little or no info posted here about the exam and what to expect, but would anyone with a good enough memory be able to enlighten us please? :)
no_ball

Re: The Warks exam

Post by no_ball »

isn't it a CEM set test similar to the KE exams? I remember DS coming out of the test last year and saying, Killed it. That's when the forum advise (if DC finds test easy, then possibly failed and vice versa' ran through my head. Had to smile when the results came through.

good luck, is it 2 weeks left?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Argh! Typed a long reply then lost it. Will try to precis what I wrote.
It isn't exactly that those who think they've failed and vice versa... Typically, bright children are used to finding work/tests/exams easy. This test is tight on time. Lots of questions in short periods of time. It can feel like a failure for a bright child to be unable to complete each section.
secondly, it's reasonable to deduce that less bright children don't always appreciate the complexity of a question and may then believe that they have done well. I have experience of this; it's often the case when I am teaching.

As for the information about the test. It's available on the B'ham section as they have many more contributors and more years of information as they have had the CEM test for longer. It's covered in this section too but Warks has less contributors and less years of experience of the test. We rely upon children remembering the types of questions asked and accurately relaying this information to someone who then posts it on the forum. once my daughter sat the test 2 years ago she had no further wish to discuss it. She was 10 and ready to move on!
The added problem is that we must not post information which is too specific: Warks LEA are obliged to allow children to sit the test at a later date if they move into the area; and this is not just on one particular date - it's as and when necessary. No one would want to give an unfair advantage to someone stumbling upon this forum.

Finally, the best help to offer is to encourage children to read as much as possible. A good vocabulary is always going to be helpful.Furthermore, a knowledge ofyear 6 maths curriculum is beneficial. Finally, quick recall of multiplication tables.

I hope this helps.

Excuse any typos. Typed on phone which has been sluggjshly 2 seconds behind my typing. If this doesn't post again my third attempt will be much shorter!

Last year we had so many Warks parents only posting after the exam. It would be lovely, and beneficial to others, to have some fresh blood sharing their experiences over the run up to the test date.

Good luck to anyone going through the process this year.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

No, I remember it clearly, I appreciate it was only general comments but were made on an irregular basis.

In addition, my DS does no reading whatsoever. He has even stopped reDing top gear magazines.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

no_ball wrote:No, I remember it clearly, I appreciate it was only general comments but were made on an irregular basis.
Unsure what you are referring to no ball.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

It's ok, it's in the past, sorry.
um

Post by um »

I am aware of the Bham format but even though this exam is also CEM, I understand that there are differences.

At the moment, I am waiting for the letter from Warks to tell me where and what time the test it - I don't even have a clue about that yet!

Can I assume that it is 2 tests of 45 minutes with a break in between?
That the score is made up, as the Bham one is, of 50% marks for literacy/VR, 25% NVR and 25% Maths?
Or is it different?

Please let us know what your recollections were, no ball.

I am surprised that there is so little Warks 'discussion' - is this because there are far fewer children taking the test than in Bham, or because Warks doesn't have internet connection yet? :lol:
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

um wrote:Can I assume that it is 2 tests of 45 minutes with a break in between?
That the score is made up, as the Bham one is, of 50% marks for literacy/VR, 25% NVR and 25% Maths?
Or is it different?
Yes, it is 2 tests of 45 mins but no, it was different from Bham in that Literacy, NVR and Maths were all equal thirds of the total mark last year (although anything is subject to change in any year I guess).
I have had 2 children take the Warks CEM exam: one last year and one 2 years before that. My impression is that the advice on the Bham section generally also applies for Warks, so worth having a read. Plus last year there were several reports posted by parents of children who took both Warks and Bham that the exams were very similar in style. Not the same questions though!
I think some preparation does help but it is difficult to tell. Keeping it varied and throwing new stuff at them is probably a good idea. I expect you are aware that in other grammar school areas the test is formulaic and children gain huge advantage from being tutored to answer questions of a rigid style, but the Warks test is not so predictable. There is usually huge time pressure, but last year was rumoured a bit less so. "Keep Calm And Carry On" is also good advice. My second son only managed to answer half the questions in several sections last year but still got his grammar school place. As Ed's Mum said, for children who are used to coasting at school and getting almost everything right, it can come as a shock to be confronted with more difficult stuff and it is important not to panic. If your child is a genius like no_ball's then you have no worries as they will pass whatever you do or say. If they are mortal like mine, then a bit of forewarning about not giving up might be a good idea!
um

Post by um »

Thank you, Bad Dad...that was really helpful.

I'm off to buy some Keep Calm and Carry On posters for the house now - more for my sake than his :lol:
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

:lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now