Certificate in Mathematics

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SunlampVexesEel

Certificate in Mathematics

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Doesn't time fly! Now find myself back and in the GCSE section!!!

Our DD has just made her GCSE choices but we have been informed by the school they are dropping GCSE Maths and instead will be teaching Certificate In Mathematics. A side-effect of this is that previously my DD would have taken GCSE Statistics but now this is dropped.

Is the "Certificate In Mathematics" a worthwhile qualification and is it's prestige sufficient to offset the loss of the GCSE Stats?

Thanks in advance,
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
xyzzy

Re: Certificate in Mathematics

Post by xyzzy »

Could you be a bit more specific? What's the awarding body?
SunlampVexesEel

xyzzy wrote:What's the awarding body?
No idea. Will check.

GCSE choices are like a maze of twisty passages all alike as far as I'm concerned.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think Guest55 is a maths teacher, so she/he might be along soon and usually has very sensible advice. It sounds a bit odd to me :?
scary mum
Tree

Post by Tree »

This may be it:

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/edex ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just a new name for the IGCSE
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's caled this instead of iGCSE so it can be included in the 5 A* to C inc En/Ma measure - iGCSE was not allowed to be included.

It's disappointing if they have dropped Stats for just this ... what is the reason?

(I am female btw :D )
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I am female btw
It was a last minute edit just in case :D
scary mum
SunlampVexesEel

Thanks. Yes the iGCSE for State Schools is how it is being presented.

I will make my feelings known to the school, TGS, as I too find this a retrograde step. I'm not against the iGCSE but I am against the dropping a stats qualification.

Thanks
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

Orginally DS is supposed to take iGCSE maths in November this year. We got the letter from Tiffin School back in June that they have to change back to normal GCSE. Althought the exam has been accredited by QCA for state school, there is an important difference - the qualification would appear on GCSE certificate as "Level 2 certificate in Maths", rather than using the term "GCSE" or "iGCSE". School feel that this is unacceptable - it is a confusing message for future employers. DS will take the normal one instead. Level 2 certifcate in Maths doesn't sound appealing!
YoYo
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I would certainly complain - for anyone even slightly good at maths the GCSE system enabled them to bag 2 A*s. You could always do the GCSE maths as a private candidate but the GCSE statistics involves pesky "controlled assessment" and so needs a bit more planning.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now