% mark required to pass King Edward Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kay3

% mark required to pass King Edward Exam

Post by Kay3 »

Hi

Does anybody know an approx percentage a child would need in order to pass any of the Kind Edward exams in Bham. Thank you :?:
UmSusu

Re: % mark required to pass King Edward Exam

Post by UmSusu »

Hello Kay3

See the sticky at top of forum content page for details of pass marks for each of the KE schools and discussion of standardised marks / percentages.

It has been mentioned on the forum before that you are looking at 80-82 per cent mark. At CH past night, the head said last year the lowest qualifying score - or pass mark- was 84 per cent of highest score achieved. This was standardised to 232 or 116 in each paper. Assuming the unlikely event that the highest scoring entrant got 100, then the maximum pass mark last year for CHB was 84 per cent - but likely a little less. For other KE schools the cut off score was slightly lower than CHB and some adjustment to percentage needs to be made, but I have not yet fathomed out how to do this.

Hope that helps. It is difficult to get definitive answer.

UmSusu
UmSusu
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Kay3 & UmSusu

The CH head may be correct that the lowest qualifying score was 85% of the highest but the assumption that the highest scoring entrant got 100% is well out.

I've got some actual figuures from the KE Foundation Office for the exam held a few year ago and the minimum scores to pass were actually quite low.

In the Nov 2004 (similar Univ of Durham exam) the KE cumulative age standardised pass mark for KECHB was 347 (average of 3 question types - see sticky at top of section). So to gain a pass you would need a minimum of 348 - or an average age standardised score of 116 per section.

For this particular exam, for a child aged 10.85 years on the day of the test 116 equated to:-

67/100 for verbal questions (i.e 67%)
46/82 for numerical/math (i.e 56%)
and 52/70 for Non verbal (i.e. 74%)

I don't believe the pass scores have changed significantly over the years.

However please don't equate the scores for the Univ of Durham exams with something like Bond or NFER percentage scores - the question are quite different - Univ of Durham are much harder and far greater time pressure.

Hope this helps.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thanks KenR

I didn't actually think that the highest could actually get 100 - I
was just being cautious but from what you say there is quite a gap!

On a slightly different note, I put DS for a mock exam last Saturday in Sh-----. They claimed to prepare their paper based on previous years content that they know of. I have not got the results back but they said that of those who took their mock last year, all of those who got over 65 per cent in the September mocks went on to gain a grammar school place. Does anyone have any experience of their mock? Can anyone concur what they say? Please feel free to pm me if you feel it would be more appropriate.

Regards,
UmSusu
Last edited by UmSusu on Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UmSusu
um

Post by um »

Many children in this mock test centre are also sitting the Warks exams.

When they say 'passed for a Grammar School place' they are probably also including children in the Warks priority circle who passed for a Stratford Grammar, Alcester Grammar, or one of the south Warks grammars.

To be fair it is 'easier' to get a place in Alcester Grammar than a Bham KE, not least because of the out-of-the-way location and the 'catchment area' restricting the number of children who apply.

It seemed that some aspects of the recent mock exam more closely reflected Warks exams than Bham exams, although to be fair the exams are quite similar.

If it is any help, my ds1 took this same mock 2 years ago, and scored 67%. He did gain a place in KECH. But I am not entirely sure what that tells us - there are 8 weeks until the exam now, and children can move up or down in 'ranking' depending on many factors, including their motivation.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thanks for your reply um. I take your point about about the other grammars in the mix.

You are right, I don't suppose that they can be used as a realistic indicator of future outcome especially as some will use the next weeks to raise their game, whilst other candidates might lose some of their momentum.
I just wanted an idea of the type of score DS might get and whether such scores have really translated into a place for other children.

I think I have got to the 'clutch at any straw stage'.... and there are still 8 weeks to go!
UmSusu
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Hi ,
We also had our son take the mock exam last Saturday and last time they said that if our son got about 90% in their exam then he would have a good chance in the actual exam. We were a bit concerned but kept on doing our best. Someone also said that to be in the highest cut off score in the main exam you had to get about 85 to 90% in all 4 subjects, Is it true ? :(
Last edited by anxious_mother on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

My daughter was at the second sitting of the mock in Sh***** today. She sat one in July too and at the feedback session we were told that the child with the lowest July mock score in the previous year who had subsequently got a grammar school place had scored 65%. As my cherub's score was only a sniff above that we are working hard at 11+ stuff - and thinking about alternatives.

I think the mock was helpful in giving us a realistic picture of her capabilities and also for highlighting some areas where we need to concentrate a little attention.

Obviously, they have no insight into the minds of examiners and the KE Foundation exams may be completely different this year to last. That's why it's worth trying all sorts of things and keeping going on speed and accuracy.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

UmSusu wrote:Hello Kay3

See the sticky at top of forum content page for details of pass marks for each of the KE schools and discussion of standardised marks / percentages.

It has been mentioned on the forum before that you are looking at 80-82 per cent mark. At CH past night, the head said last year the lowest qualifying score - or pass mark- was 84 per cent of highest score achieved. This was standardised to 232 or 116 in each paper. Assuming the unlikely event that the highest scoring entrant got 100, then the maximum pass mark last year for CHB was 84 per cent - but likely a little less. For other KE schools the cut off score was slightly lower than CHB and some adjustment to percentage needs to be made, but I have not yet fathomed out how to do this.

Hope that helps. It is difficult to get definitive answer.

UmSusu
Sorry for being thick, but is that 84% of the highest raw score or standardised score?
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

KECH Open day presentation is in the schools web site. There is one slide showing last 3 years marks within KE consortium group.