Sports scholarship?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Frustratedmum

Sports scholarship?

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi, firstly I had absolutely no idea which title to post this query under or indeed whether it's even appropriate to this site, but many people have such good knowledge of how school systems work (creep, but true :wink: ) that I hoped it would be okay.
I'm being practical and starting to look at comp options just in case the unthinkable happens. Our local comp is a no go no matter what sadly, so we're having to look much further afield as this school is our only usual option here. Our first choice of comp has, as one of it's main criteria (the second after children in care in fact), a possible sports or music scholarship, our DD hasn't got the musical knowledge however I'm wondering how advanced in a sport a child has to be to qualify? DD has been a county champion in gymnastics at the age of 8 and although has had a break from it for 18months due to us relocating where there were no local clubs she has now just taken it up again in a different form (acro), she also attends karate, can swim well and came first in a regional competition in trampolining (albeit at a basic level). Is this anywhere near enough to try on, does anyone think? Or am I barking completely up the wrong tree? :oops:
Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Sports scholarship?

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

if it is a state school then won't be a scholarship as much as a set number of palces reserved for children with musical or sports aptitude. The level of sporting aptitude / achievement at the schools can vary +++ from just being quite sporty to representing the country. Sometimes they want sport achievement in more than one area.
really need to have a chat with them to ask how they assess (sometimes they have assessment days..)
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Thanks Herman that's very helpful, sorry you're absolutely right it's for a place not a scholarship that was me just quoting how it's worded in their prospectus :oops:
I have taken note of their open day & will ask more then, I just didn't know if it was even worth asking and thought I'd see what people thought behind a screen before I embarrass myself face to face :lol:
Thanks again for your time
mystery

Post by mystery »

Don't feel embarrassed. If they don't explain it properly on their website, admissions policy or any other blurb, then how can anyone find out without asking?

What's the school name and area? Have you tried asking about that school in the relevant area forum as well?

If it puts sport or music as 2nd criterion in its admissions policy it sounds like the Brit School for sport or music!!
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi mystery,

The school in question is Fulston Manor in Sittingbourne so perhaps this might have been better placed in the Kent section?

Thanks you're absolutely right, it certainly can't hurt to ask. I wasn't sure at first if there would be a fairly standard level expected across the board but now at least I'm understanding that it can be very different for every school.

I admit I thought it was unusual for sports aptitude at a comp to be placed second but it's a big hope for us as we live out of catchment, well will give them a call & see what they say.

Thanks again!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sounds like you need some more local info - Hop on my magic carpet and I'll whisk the thread to Kent .... hold on tight!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Frustratedmum wrote: I have taken note of their open day & will ask more then, I just didn't know if it was even worth asking and thought I'd see what people thought behind a screen before I embarrass myself face to face :lol:

best thing may be to go open day as they are likely to expand on it in some of the talks - there are bound to be people wanting to know whether their child's grade 5 violin or whatever would be enough and similarly for sport.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Just taken a read of the admissions policy. It's only 10% of places that are given out that way (18 or so places?) so I guess as much as anything it will depend on the standard of the others applying that year. They should be able to tell you what the test consists of, how they judge it, and the kind of standards others who got through it were in past years. It says a supplementary application form is available from the school to apply for these aptitude based places. Maybe you can request more info at the same time as requesting the supplementary form. I wouldn't personally leave it to the open day. Let the open day be about finding out about the school rather than the ins and outs of getting into it. You can find all that out behind the scenes. But as with all admissions info, beware people giving you misinformation. Something like this will all be set down very carefully on paper somewhere.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Thanks again guys, as always info so helpful!

Have called the school, sounds hopeful, I've requested the application for this entry and we have to attend a day of interviews and sports trials.

It's such a relief to know we may have a couple of nice back ups if DD doesn't pass. She is just as determined as us that she won't go to our catchment comp so we're looking at every which way to find something to help her be happy :wink: