To Walsh or Not to Walsh

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
manicmum

To Walsh or Not to Walsh

Post by manicmum »

All of those on this forum seem to have so much experience that I'd just welcome a quick pointer. My DS has followed through the plan of papers as per the list so far. In the last 2 weeks he's started picking up both speed and finally accuracy and yesterday on the last of GL papers pack 1 managed a really strong score.

I already have GL pack 2 and plan to use those as they bring back in the missing question types. However given that he's just had this big confidence boost should I risk using Walsh?

Are GL about the same as the actual papers or a bit easier?

Thank you to anyone who has time to give a view.

Regards
scary mum

Re: To Walsh or Not to Walsh

Post by scary mum »

picking up both speed and finally accuracy
I wish mine would, he seems to be loosing both!!

I think I've read elsewhere on here that the GL ones are slightly easier than the real thing (not sure about pack 2 though), the Susan Daughtry about the same and the Walsh quite hard, so you may risk harming his confidence if you do the Walsh at this stage. Patricia or Sally Anne will probably be along to give you some better advice soon.
scary mum
patricia

Post by patricia »

As tests not Walsh

The GL Assessment pack 2 are a tad harder in some areas than pack 1, but are a better option at this stage than Walsh.

They use some 3 stage bracket maths [type K] and some papers have 4 Zs [I just tell my students not to panic, random guess and come back to Zs as per normal] In addition some of the Zs ask for the statement that CANNOT be true. [I ring the CANNOT for them]

Patricia
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I've decided not to Walsh...can't risk DS's recently regained but still fragile confidence! He is doing short practice papers or Tutors exercises daily, and one full-length paper at weekends - we've got just enough with the last SD paper and the GL assessment pack to take him up to half-term. I'm hoping this will be enough to keep things ticking over at the level they need to be at... :?
Marylou
SingleDad

Post by SingleDad »

Excellent question ManicMum!

I spent a great deal of time deliberating whether or not to Walsh with my daughter.

In August, I opted to start it, on the basis that I'll stop if things get hairy! We've completed 10 out of the 12 papers so far. Based on her age standardised score, my daughter has passed 7 of these papers, and failed 5. I had spent a great deal of time and prepared her that Walsh is very, very tough. Given this, I believe she hasn't had her confidence knocked when she failed, and gets very excited if she passes a Walsh test!

There has been a bonus worth mentioning though; I've mixed these Walsh papers with others (GL and Bright Sparks). I noticed that when she'd done a few Walsh papers, she found the GL and BS papers 'easier' (note: not easy!).

I've tried a few Walsh papers myself and have to say how surprised I was at how very tough they are. Some questions are very challenging.

I think the other comments here are very valid. Walsh papers should almost come with a health warning! I think they need to be managed very carefully.
manicmum

Post by manicmum »

You've all been really kind in replying so promptly. I'll have a think through this tonight and work out the timing to see which way we select in the end and let you all know the outcome!

Kind Regards, MM
manicmum

Post by manicmum »

Usual bad timing - got the 2nd of the Walsh books (blue one) we picked out specific question types that he finds more difficult. It was okay - I did give him the health warning. So he was quick to pick up the logic " so mum when I do other tests they'll seem easier". Don't think his heart was in it last night but it did help start some good vocab discussions.

So thanks to you all for your views. Don't think I'll use them as practice timed tests at this point just theory practice and vocab help.

Good luck to you all for the final few weeks! Nat
newbucksdad

Post by newbucksdad »

We are now also using Walsh (and only Walsh) as practice questions. We're using Bright Sparks and GLA 1 & 2 as tests. Our DS seems to be happy with this approach.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now