How much do we give DD1 starting at University ?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
frosties

How much do we give DD1 starting at University ?

Post by frosties »

This is our first experience of university and sorting out finances.
He has the basic loan, no grants or anything else.
We plan to make up the shortfall in his accommodation costs, but how much would you give a week for food etc ?
What other things did you pay for apart from food ?
Thanks
Looking for help

Re: How much do we give DD1 starting at University ?

Post by Looking for help »

We made the decision to pay the accommodation fees for our son, and leave him to spend his loan on living costs, this has worked quite well, and he has managed to live off his loan, just about. It is a very expensive decision, but better than having to fork out unknown amounts at all sorts of times, with the benefit of him having an understanding of budgeting etc. That is the theory anyway. He's going into his final year now, and I think has managed fairly well.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frosties

Post by frosties »

That's very useful. Thank you.
Had forgotten about all the expenses in fresher's week too.
KB

Post by KB »

Agree with above - with both DCs we have paid accommodation and they have used loan to cover living expenses. With eldest (who was at Cambridge) we topped up with about £500 pa - not due to excessive expenditure but additional costs due to lifestyle resulting from combination of his course, sporting interests and the way his college charged for food/facilities.

Imagine it is different in London due to much higher costs (DC has bursury for his PG study in London & is still needing extra for tube fares)

Both had a rough budget to start with & had to keep records (with varying success) during term so we could review together at Christmas.

Def. good idea to give them a lump sum to start the first year - ours used their own savings for this but I guess it depends on family circumstances how it works out.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have also got a Sainsbury's "Meal Ticket". I can put money on the card from my end and he can spend it with his half.

I aim to make sure there is about £30 on it for emergency food in addition to his budget ( not too much that it is tempting to spend it on beer and fags...). We did a shop together yesterday and he OK for essentials.
sp

Post by sp »

Although we have a couple of years to go this topic is v interesting, especially when planning finance etc. Our weekly bill at home should be slashed which will be great!

Yoyo, I'd seen the card in Sainsburys and thought it a great idea, as long as a store nearby. Do other supermarkets do the same? DH said it would all be spent on "beer and fags" so is there a way of restricting spending on "extras"? Probably not, otherwise Sainsburys would loose out!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm not sure if other supermarkets do it, the Sainsbury's is a bit farther away than the others so it has to be an emergency! I suppose you could limit it to a small amount, just enough for bread, milk and beans!
sp

Post by sp »

That's all he'll need any way!!
solimum

Post by solimum »

DS2 has just informed me that the nearest food outlet to his shared flat next year is M&S.......
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now