Year 10/11 - Work Experience

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Colourful-Rainbow

Year 10/11 - Work Experience

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to arrange work experience for students who intend to study e.g. engineering or something related to it? I realize schools can also offer to arrange placements but so far I don't know if ours will (or at least maybe not in the area we're interested in). I have found some companies which offer placements for 14/15 year olds but they turned out to be too far. We're looking for placements in London or nearby so if anyone has any advice that would be really appreciated! Thanks. :mrgreen:
millie33

Re: Year 10/11 - Work Experience

Post by millie33 »

My daughter is also currently searching for a placement for year 10 work experience. The pack that came form school gave two options - basically find a placement yourself, or fill in a form with preferences and the school will try to find a suitable placement, but no guarantees. She is limited to our own county and a few near by, which is a shame, as we have friends who would happily offer her work experience in the field she is looking for, but who live in other areas of the UK. Best option is to contact local companies in your area and enquire to see if they take year 10 work expereince pupils. Many do not because of the additional hassel - there are forms to fill in and they have to have public liability insurance etc.
Good luck to your ds/dd.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Have you tried contacting the schools section of the relevant institute in the field of interest? For example institute of mechanical engineering in bird cage walk?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think the schools have to arrange work experience, and if your child, as a student wishes ,s/he can find his/her own. In all our cases we left it to the school to arrange, it is absolutely something and nothing, I wouldn't worry about it, and it will never be relevant in terms of future aspirations, other than they get a good report from the whole thing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ford have a scheme, depending on where you live your child might be able to get to it.

School work experience can often turn out to be a bit rubbish unless you are going for a job that anyone can get experience in locally e.g. working in a shop, library, school etc.

Don't view the school work experience as the only chance to get a taste of engineering as a career as to find something good that fits into the school slot is lucky to say the least.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ford have a scheme, depending on where you live your child might be able to get to it.

School work experience can often turn out to be a bit rubbish unless you are going for a job that anyone can get experience in locally e.g. working in a shop, library, school etc.

Don't view the school work experience as the only chance to get a taste of engineering as a career as to find something good that fits into the school slot is lucky to say the least.
daughter

Post by daughter »

Hi,
Most large mulit-national companies provide work experience opportunities and often do so in a very structured and well supported way. I believe they do this as part of their "community" work. My DD had engineering work experience at the end of year 11 with a large company in the midlands working in the R & D department. I agree with what others say though in that it is not worth worrying about too much if the school required work experience turns out not to be terribly valuable.
It is useful to start building up interest/experience in other ways. I don't know if you are aware of the short courses that both Smallpiece Trust and Headstart run- about engineering. They are great and I would recomend them. Good luck.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DS had work experience in year 10 - enjoyed it but tricky to arrange as quite young at the time. Relieved as have just had message from DDs school to say that as they will be increasing the school leaving age, her current year (10) will do their work experience in year 12.. am very pleased as likely to have more choice of placements as being over 16 and will probably have more idea of what they want to do.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solimum

Post by solimum »

The other thing to look for (slightly further ahead) is the Engineering Education scheme which takes small groups in Year 12 into a long-term project with a local firm - often filling the "enrichment" slot in the timetable. My DS1 was able to participate in this at his sixth form college, and later did a Year in Industry placement gap year with the same firm. (went on to read Mech Eng at Leicester and is now doing a PhD) Not all schools participate in this, and there are limited places available, so worth researching now before planning 6th form options

http://www.engineering-education.org.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now